Extension (100%): Christmas Tree Production
- Providing support to North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service Agents with Christmas tree responsibilities.
- Increasing the understanding of Christmas tree fertility and the ability to develop site-specific fertility prescriptions through educational opportunities.
- Maximizing the effectiveness of Christmas tree businesses, through strategic planning, business management education, and development of the “Greenwise” curriculum.
- Fostering the implementation of sustainable production by demonstrating best management practices (BMP’s), tailored to the location and by encouraging a holistic approach to solving production problems.
- Evaluating alternative strip-tillage practices as part of site preparation for Fraser fir Christmas trees.
- Evaluating Fraser fir phytotoxicity and weed suppression of low rates of post-emergent herbicides.
- Evaluating the ability of alternative foliar-applied micronutrients to correct deficiency symptoms in Fraser fir.
- Developing a curriculum for farm business management that provides a process of strategic planning and a foundation in the five functions of management.
- Developing commercial scout training. (with Jill Sidebottom)
Area(s) of Expertise
Christmas Tree Genetics