About Mematt-jurjonas

I am working on my PhD under Dr. Erin Seekamp on the Albemarle Pamlico Peninsula. I am a member of a multi-disciplinary team to address the impacts of salinization and sea level rise. My focus is on environmental social science and community resilience. I hope to contribute to the adaptive capacity of this socio-ecological system in order to meet the challenges that are placing rural coastal communities at risk.

Who has been most influential to you?

Hermann Hesse and his wonderful words on Wandering.

Professional Goal

I would like to work as a researcher with either extension or a NGO on the ground engaging communities on their natural resource issues to collaboratively develop solutions. In the long term I hope to own land, work toward sustainable food production, and develop landscapes for carbon sequestration while providing hands on learning opportunities for students through adjunct work.

Previous Degrees and Where I Received these Degrees

B.A. in Ecology and Biodiversity University of Denver
M.S. in Conservation Leadership Colorado State University

“Words of Wisdom” for Prospective Students

Don’t count your chickens before they hatch because you will need to break a few of those eggs to make your omelet.

My Leisure Interests

I rock climb, practice judo, and love camping. I am also always looking for another chance to get back to sea, for however long it may be.