All students at the College of Natural Resources will be assigned an academic advisor who is a faculty member in his or her major. The advisor’s job is to provide you with information about academic requirements and procedures, and to help you plan your academic program.
Students are required to meet with their Academic Advisor two times per semester:
- Initial Advising – toward the beginning of the semester you will discuss current courses, university resources, and major requirements.
- Registration Advising – midway through the semester you need to review your short and long-term academic plan. If planning requirements are met, your “hold” will be released to register.
Keep in mind that advisors can be helpful to you as you think about what you’d like to do after graduation and how you can best prepare yourself for a career. They have real world knowledge of careers in your major and connect you with great opportunities like internships, research, and eventually a job. So make sure to share with them your career goals and ask questions.
The Advisor’s Job
- To provide you with the information about academic requirements and procedures
- To help you plan your academic program
- To help you as you think about what you’d like to do after graduation and how you can best prepare yourself for your future career
- Release advising hold for the semester
The Advisee’s (Student) Job
- To get to know your advisor
- To ask questions beyond those necessary to get your advising hold released to register
- To take the initiative when talking with your advisor
Your advisor plays an important support role, but ultimately the responsibility for planning your individual program and meeting academic requirements and deadlines belong to you.
Familiarize yourself with the academic rules and deadlines by:
- Consulting with an advisor
- Reading the Undergraduate Catalog
- Referring to Registration and Records Website
- Printing out the Academic Calendar
- Visiting the Academic Services Website
- Reviewing Curriculum Sheets for your major
- Asking questions? Contact your Department or the CNR Academic Affairs Office 919.515.6191
Finding your advisor
Sign into MyPack and your advisor’s contact information will be on the main page, right column. They will also be listed on your degree audit.
Don’t see an advisor listed? Contact one of the Advising Coordinators below.
|Major||Advising Coordinator||Phone Number|
|College of Natural Resources Undeclared||Yvonne Leefirstname.lastname@example.org||919.515.5741|
|Environmental Technology and Management||Terrie Litzenbergeremail@example.com||919.515.7581|
|Environmental Sciences||Kimber Lunsfordfirstname.lastname@example.org||919-513-2582|
|Fisheries, Wildlife, and Conservation Biology||Dr. Lara Pacificiemail@example.com||919.515.3431|
|Forest Management||Dr. Gary Blankfirstname.lastname@example.org||919.515.7566|
|Natural Resources||Dr. Gary Blankemail@example.com||919.515.7566|
|Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management||Dr. Kim Bushfirstname.lastname@example.org||919.513.3939|
|Paper Science and Engineering||Dr. Med Byrdemail@example.com||919.515.5790|
|Professional Golf Management||Dr. Rob Wadefirstname.lastname@example.org||919.515.4515|
|Sports Management||Dr. Kim Bushemail@example.com||919.513.3939|
|Sustainable Materials and Technology||Dr. Perry Peraltafirstname.lastname@example.org||919.515.5731|
|Environmental First Year Program||Dr. Steph Jeffriesemail@example.com||919-515-7994|