Terry Student Assistance and Enrichment Fund
The application for the Fall 2023 semester is now closed.
About the Fund
The Ronald and Dale Terry Student Assistance and Enrichment Fund was created by Dr. and Mrs. Terry to enhance the academic and co-curricular experience of undergraduate students in the College of Natural Resources. The support provided by this fund also helps the college achieve the following strategic goals:
- Enhance the success of our students through educational innovation by providing high-impact educational experiences for undergraduates
- Enhance local and global engagement by supporting and providing opportunities for increasing students’ civic and global knowledge, experience, and perspectives
- Encourage interdisciplinary collaboration across CNR programs among both students and faculty/staff
Students Applying for Funding
All undergraduate students enrolled in a CNR major can apply for funds to support their personal extra or co-curricular enrichment experiences. Enrichment experiences for students may vary depending on their future professional and personal goals, and thus, we do not want to set limitations on these opportunities. Examples of funding include, but are not limited to:
- Support entrepreneurial and service projects that address real world problems
- Give stipends to students seeking high-impact unpaid internships
- Assist with fees and travel expenses to attend industry-specific, leadership, professional development or diversity conferences, seminars and workshops
- Provide scholarships or stipends for students seeking to study or intern abroad
- Support undergraduate research initiatives
- Aid the development of programming within CNR
The amount of the award will depend upon the number of applicants and the amount of funds available. Award amounts typically range from $150 to $3,500.
Undergraduate students enrolled in a CNR major are eligible to apply for these funds. The student enrichment experience must take place prior to student graduating from NC State University. Priority will be given to first time Enrichment Fund applicants. Additional priority will be given to students who can demonstrate that they will not only personally benefit from, but also will use these experiences to benefit the CNR student population as a whole.
Enrichment funds cannot be used to supplement NC State University tuition costs.
Students awarded funding must also complete the following:
- Sign a Memorandum of Understanding that will outline the award terms (Outline of experience, approved expenses, submission of receipts)
- Provide proof of experience. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Study Abroad -> Program acceptance Letter
- Internship -> Letter from internship provide
- Conference/Workshop -> Registration confirmation
- Agree to an enrichment fund assignment, typically a profile, blog, and reflection
Frequently Asked Questions
How is my application reviewed?
Each application is reviewed by a committee consisting of 2 faculty, 3 staff, and 2 students, with representation from all departments within CNR. Every application is read and scored by 3 different committee members, based on a rubric with the following categories:
- Likelihood of Success
- Alignment with Strategic Goals
- Creativity and Uniqueness
- Overall Writing Quality
- Potential for Impact for Student
- Potential for Impact of Community Environment
Who should I contact if I have questions about this program?
All questions should be directed to the Enrichment Fund Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I use the funds to reimburse me for an experience I have already had, or that is currently on-going?
No, funds can only be used for experiences that start after the award notification date.
When will my enrichment award be discussed?
Funds will be dispersed to awardees after proper proof of experience has been provided.
How will I receive my enrichment award?
Awards will be only be disbursed after:
- Awardee officially accepts the award via online system
- Proof of experience is provided
Students will receive funds via direct deposit set into their NC State account.
Do I have to be registered for academic credit to receive enrichment funding
No, you do not have to be participating in an experience which awards academic credit to receive funds.
Student applying must be still considered undergraduate students in good-standing with NC State University and the College of Natural Resources. Students who graduate prior to the enrichment activity may not apply for funds.
How much funding should I request?
The amount of funding you request depends on the nature of your enrichment experience. In most cases, the College of Natural Resources does not have the funding available to support the entire cost of students’ enrichment experiences. For instance, students participating in semester long education abroad programs should not request the total amount needed to participate in the experience. Instead, think critically about the funds you will need to make this experience more affordable for you. You might focus instead on the cost of airfare or textbooks
How much funding will I receive?
You will be notified of your award amount once your application has been reviewed and approved by the CNR Student Enrichment Fund Committee. Unfortunately, we cannot inform you of your specific award amount until your application has been formally processed and approved. A variety of factors are considered when reviewing applications, including: the cost of the program, the student’s demonstrated financial need, as well as the quality of the enrichment application. Awards are also determined by the funds available at the time of receipt as well as the specific criteria of our funding sources. In general, enrichment awards can range from $150-$3,500.
How can I confirm my application was submitted?
After submitting the application, you will be prompted with a “Thank you for applying” message. This serves as confirmation that your application was received.
When will I hear back about my application?
Award notifications will be sent via email on the posted notification date. To create an equitable process, we are unable to notify students of their award amount prior to the notification date posted on the website.
What are the enrichment assignment options?
Students awarded funds must agree to submit pictures from experience, a written and video reflection about their experience.
Can a student organization or other group apply for funds?
We will only review applications for individual students. A student organization applying on behalf of a group of members will not be eligible. Student organizations and other groups seeking funding for an experience can submit a request directly to email@example.com to see if funds are available.