Apply for funds
- Students need to fill out a single application to apply for funds from the Enrichment Fund.
- Deadline is October 3, 2016
The College of Natural Resources (CNR) Student Assistance and Enrichment Fund was created to enhance the academic and co-curricular experience of undergraduate students in the college. The purpose of the fund is two-fold, (1) provide direct funding to students and (2) provide extra and co-curricular programming within CNR. The creation of the fund will also help the college achieve the following established strategic goals:
- Enhance the success of our students through educational innovation by providing high-impact educational experiences for undergraduates
- Enhance local and global engagement by supporting and providing opportunities for increasing students’ civic and global knowledge, experience, and perspectives
- Encourage interdisciplinary collaboration across CNR programs among both students and faculty/staff
Students Applying for Funding
All undergraduate students enrolled in a CNR major can apply for funds to support their personal extra or co-curricular enrichment experiences. Enrichment experiences for students may vary depending on their future professional and personal goals, and thus, we do not want to set limitations on these opportunities. Examples of funding include, but are not limited to:
- Provide scholarships or stipends for students seeking to study or intern abroad
- Support undergraduate research initiatives
- Support entrepreneurial and service projects that address real world problems
- Give stipends to students seeking high-impact unpaid internships
- Aid the development of programming within CNR
- Assist with fees and travel expenses to attend industry-specific, leadership, professional development or diversity conferences, seminars and workshops
- Fund students seeking additional courses to enrich a student’s experiences outside of NC State
- Provide scholarships for CNR sponsored field trips and educational tours
Number and Sizes of Awards
The amount of the award will depend upon the number of applicants and the amount of funds available. Award amounts typically range from $150 to $3,500.
Application Cycle and Deadlines
Open: September 14, 2016
Close: October 3, 2016
Award Notification: Late October, 2016
Undergraduate students enrolled in a CNR major are eligible to apply for these funds. Additional priority will be given to students that not only personally benefited from, but also used these experiences to benefit the CNR student population as a whole.
Students awarded funding must also complete the following:
- Sign a Memorandum of Understanding that will outline the award terms (Outline of experience, approved expenses, submission of receipts)
- Provide proof of experience. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Study Abroad -> Program acceptance Letter
- Internship -> Letter from internship provide
- Conference/Workshop -> Registration confirmation
- Agree to an enrichment fund assignment (i.e. blog post, photo narrative, thank you letter, etc.)
Frequently Asked Questions
Who should I contact if I have questions about this program?
All questions should be directed to Sarah Sassorossi, Enrichment Fund Coordinator, at email@example.com.
What is the latest date to use the funds?
Funds can be used for any experience occurring prior to your graduation date.
When will my enrichment award be disbursed?
Funds will be dispersed to awardees as needed based on your proposed experience dates provided via the application.
How will I receive my enrichment award?
Awards will be only be disbursed after:
- Awardee officially accepts the award via online system
- Proof of experience is provided
A check will be processed and sent to the student’s permanent mailing address listed in MyPack Portal. This process can take between 2-3 weeks after all documentation is provided.
Do I have to be registered for academic credit to receive enrichment funding?
No, you do not have to be participating in an experience which awards academic credit to receive funds.
Student applying must still be considered undergraduate students in good-standing with NC State University and the College of Natural Resources. Students who graduate prior to the enrichment activity may not apply for funds.
How much funding should I request?
The amount of funding you request depends on the nature of your enrichment experience. In most cases, the College of Natural Resources does not have the funding available to support the entire cost of students’ enrichment experiences. For instance, students participating in semester long education abroad programs should not request the total amount needed to participate in the experience. Instead, think critically about the funds you will need to make this experience more affordable for you. You might focus instead on the cost of airfare or textbooks.
How much funding will I receive?
You will be notified of your award amount once your application has been reviewed and approved by the CNR Student Enrichment Fund Committee. Unfortunately, we cannot inform you of your specific award amount until your application has been formally processed and approved. A variety of factors are considered when reviewing applications, including: the cost of the program, the student’s demonstrated financial need, as well as the quality of the enrichment application. Awards are also determined by the funds available at the time of receipt as well as the specific criteria of our funding sources. In general, enrichment awards can range from $150-$3,500.
How can I confirm my application was submitted?
After submitting the application, you will be prompted with a “Thank you for applying” message. This serves as confirmation that your application was received.
When will I hear back about my application?
Award notifications will be sent via email in late October, 2016.
What are the enrichment assignment options?
Students awarded funds must agree to submit a reflective assignment which will include a narrative of the experience and photos.