Application dates will be posted in March 2018
Application Deadline: TBD
Phone Interviews : TBD
25 students are selected each year to participate in the College of Natural Resources (CNR) Engaging Leaders Program that emphasizes hands-on learning, real-world applications, and relationship building with faculty, staff, students and community leaders. The program is open to freshman, off-campus transfer and on-campus transfer students.
The mission of the program is to:
- Help students develop their individual leadership skills through engagement in CNR, NC State, and the local community
- Become more culturally aware by challenging students to engage with new people and try new things
- Promote involvement in CNR and help students develop relationships with faculty, staff and students
About the Program
During the first semester, Engaging Leaders participate in training sessions to help them better understand their personal leadership style, strengths and weaknesses. They also learn essential skills for working in diverse groups, networking, and communicating effectively.
The highlight of our program is our Shark Tank series where students work collaboratively to design a program that benefits CNR, NC State, or the local community. Engaging Leaders will spend their second semester implementing these programs with their community partner.
Why become a member of the CNR Engaging Leaders Program?
- Build a community with other CNR students in a wide variety of majors from around the country and the world
- Identify and develop your personal leadership and communication skill-set
- Become a culturally sensitive individual prepared to enter leadership positions in other organizations on campus and in professional societies
- Learn proper business etiquette to use in a professional environment
- Develop strong communication skills when working with different types of people
- Become a leader in CNR by getting connected to student organizations, community service, and other unique opportunities
- Learn about new opportunities within the college and university
Features of the Engaging Leaders Program include:
- Membership in a community of dedicated leaders representing all majors within CNR
- Kick-Off Leadership Retreat
- Monthly seminars and events focused on our goals of leadership, cultural awareness, and professional development
- Information on NC State student involvement, career services and academic support
- Tools to help identify personal leadership styles, strengths, and cultural skills
- Mentoring from upper class students
- One on one advising with CNR faculty and staff
- Business Etiquette Dinner & Mix and Mingles with alumni
What are the requirements for the CNR Engaging Leaders Program?
- Complete the CNR Engaging Leaders Application
- Be entering the College of Natural Resources for the first time in the Summer or Fall of 2018
- Attend the Engaging Leaders Retreat on August 24-26, 2018 (this will be an overnight program)
- Attend Mid-Year Diversity Retreat in January 2019
- Be free on Tuesday evenings between 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.
- Actively participate in community outreach events sponsored by the program
- Work with other Engaging Leaders to create a program that benefits the college, NC State, or the local community
- Be open to trying new experiences outside of the college and willing to explore new opportunities
Think you've got what it takes to be an Engaging Leader?
Each student is asked to pay $85 at the beginning of the year. This non-refundable fee includes:
- Lodging, transportation, materials and most meals for retreat
- All program supplies throughout the year
- Transportation to all events and activities
- Engaging Leaders t-shirt
- Snacks for meetings and special programs
Scholarships are available for those students who have extreme financial need to cover the cost of all or a portion of the $85.
Any questions should be directed to Shaefny Grays at firstname.lastname@example.org.