Engaging Leaders Program
The College of Natural Resources (CNR) Engaging Leaders Program aims to develop students by equipping them with the confidence and capacity to collaborate with diverse communities.
Each year, we select up to 20 students to participate this unique program. Students do not need to have prior leadership experience, and we value students with a strong desire to grow personally and professionally. The program is open to freshman, off-campus transfer and on-campus transfer students.
About the Program
Throughout the year, Engaging Leaders attend sessions to help them better understand their personal leadership style, strengths and weaknesses. They also learn essential skills for working in diverse groups, communicating effectively, and project planning.
Benefits of Becoming an Engaging Leader
- Become part of our diverse and supportive EL community and build relationships with your CNR peers from around the country and the world
- Learn how you can best utilize and improve your unique skills and strengths to prepare you for future leadership positions both on campus and in the professional world
- Enhance your cultural and social sensitivity and learn to appreciate and encourage diversity and inclusion as both a leader and group member
- Understand different communication styles and develop the skills necessary to work and communicate well with a variety of individuals
- Get connected to community service, professional development, and academic opportunities around the college and all of NC State
- Learn professionalism for academic and work environments, and the skills you need to impress future employers
Key Components of the Program Include:
- Membership in a supportive community of dedicated leaders representing all majors within CNR
- One-on-one mentorship with a Buzzard Fellow
- Tools to help identify personal leadership styles, strengths, and cultural skills
- Mentoring and guidance from coordinator
- Monthly leadership seminars
- Engagement activities such as a networking dinner