Area(s) of Expertise
B.S. Southern Oregon State College (1983)
M.S. Oregon State University (1986)
Ph.D. Oregon State University (1990)
As the former Department Head most of my recent activities have focused on supporting our students, faculty and staff as we try to excel in our teaching/learning, research, extension and outreach missions. I also represent the department in interactions with the College of Natural Resources, NC State University and a number of external stakeholder groups and individuals.
Currently, I regularly teach modules in:
NR 100 – Introduction to Natural Resources
FOR 252 – Introduction to Forest Science
FOR 411 – Forest Tree Genetics and Biology
FOR 603/803 – Seminar in Forest Research
FOR 725 – Forest Genetics
FOR 727 – Tree Improvement Research Techniques
- Director of the Center for Advanced Forestry Systems (CAFS), which is a multi-universityNational Science Foundation Industry/University Cooperative Research Center (NSF I/UCRC) that bridges top forestry research programs with industry members to solve complex, industry-wide problems.
- Capacity Building — Phase II Increasing The Pool For The Development Of A Multicultural Workforce And Connection To Underserved Communities Across the US (Joint Venture with the US Forest Service).
- Meeting the Natural Resource Challenges for the 21st Century: A Partnership between NCSU and the Center for Integrated Forest Science and Synthesis (Joint Venture with the US Forest Service).
- Strengthening Afghan Agricultural University Faculty (US Agency for International Development, through Purdue University).
- Template for Assessing Climate Change Impacts and Management Options (Cost Reimbursable Agreement with the US Forest Service)
- The evolutionary genetics of the genes underlying phenotypic associations for loblolly pine (Pinus taeda, Pinaceae) (2013)
- The Camcore program at North Carolina State University (2012)
- Association genetics of the loblolly pine (Pinus taeda, Pinaceae) metabolome (2012)
- Effects of propagule type on genetic parameters of wood density and growth in a loblolly pine progeny test at ages 10 and 11 years (2011)
- Two novel techniques to screen Abies seedlings for resistance to the balsam woolly adelgid, Adelges piceae (2011)
- Association genetics of carbon isotope discrimination, height and foliar nitrogen in a natural population of Pinus taeda L (2011)
- Natural variation in expression of genes involved in xylem development in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) (2011)
- Association mapping of quantitative disease resistance in a natural population of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) (2010)
- Prediction of wood density breeding values of Pinus taeda elite parents from an unbalanced data: A method for adjustment of site and age effects using a common checklot (2008)
- Analysis of cellulose microfibril angle (MFA) using a linear mixed model in Pinus taeda clones (2008)