Dr. Ilona Peszlen, Associate Professor, came to NC State from the Department of Forestry at Iowa State University in November of 2001. Prior to that, she was a professor of wood science at the University of West Hungary in Sopron.
Dr. Peszlen teaches wood anatomy and property related courses. Her research emphasis is on juvenile and reaction wood, effects of environment on wood and fiber properties, genetic improvement of wood quality and on properties and utilization of plantation wood.
Dr. Peszlen received her B.S. in Wood Technology (1978), her M.S. in Wood Engineering (1979) from the University Of Sopron, and her M.S. in Higher Education (1984) from the University of Godollo, Hungary. She was the recipient of a Fulbright Scholarship and completed her Ph.D. in Wood Science & Forest Products (1993) at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia. She did post-doctoral research at North Carolina State University, Raleigh and at the University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand.
Dr. Peszlen serves as the current Director of Graduate Programs in the Department of Forest Biomaterials.
Area(s) of Expertise
Wood anatomy and properties, effects of environment on wood and fiber properties, genetic improvement of wood quality and properties, and utilization of plantation wood
- Fungal Pretreatment and Enzymatic Hydrolysis of Genetically-modified Populus trichocarpa , BIORESOURCES (2020)
- ANATOMICAL, PHYSICAL, AND MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF TRANSGENIC LOBLOLLY PINE (PINUS TAEDA L.) MODIFIED FOR INCREASED DENSITY , WOOD AND FIBER SCIENCE (2019)
- Anatomy and Chemistry of Populus trichocarpa with Genetically Modified Lignin Content , BIORESOURCES (2019)
- Quantitative fermentation of unpretreated transgenic poplar by Caldicellulosiruptor bescii , NATURE COMMUNICATIONS (2019)
- Thermo-mechanical Behavior of Genetically Modified Populus trichocarpa , BIORESOURCES (2019)
- Altered Lignin Content and Composition in Transgenic Populus trichocarpa Results in a Decrease of Modulus of Elasticity , BIORESOURCES (2018)
- Improving wood properties for wood utilization through multi-omics integration in lignin biosynthesis , Nature Communications (2018)
- Characterization and enzymatic hydrolysis of wood from transgenic Pinus taeda engineered with syringyl lignin or reduced lignin content , Cellulose (2017)
- A cell wall-bound anionic peroxidase, PtrPO21, is involved in lignin polymerization in Populus trichocarpa , Tree Genetics & Genomes (2016)
- Estimating annual riverbank erosion rates-a dendrogeomorphic method , River Research and Applications (2014)