Dr. Martin A. Hubbe, Professor, and Buckman Distinguished Scientist, focuses on chemical additives to the paper machine, including the colloidal chemistry affecting dewatering, the charged nature of cellulosic materials and the development of dry strength.
Dr. Hubbe has an M.S. degree from the Institute of Paper Chemistry and a Ph.D. in colloidal chemistry from Clarkson University. His teaching is primarily related to paper machine wet-end and colloidal chemistry.
Dr. Hubbe is a member of TAPPI, where he has chaired short-courses and earned a Division Award for service. Together with Dr. Lucian Lucia, he is also founding co-editor of the online peer-reviewed journal BioResources. Recent research has been aimed at mechanisms underlying the use of polyampholytes as dry-strength additives, and a reinterpretation of the nanoporosity and charge characteristics of cellulosic fibers, including their interactions with cationic polyelectrolytes.
Area(s) of Expertise
Chemical paper additives, colloidal chemistry affecting dewatering, charged nature of cellulosic materials and dry strength development
- A Critical Review on Natural Fibers Modifications by Graft Copolymerization for Wastewater Treatment , JOURNAL OF POLYMERS AND THE ENVIRONMENT (2021)
- Advances in barrier coatings and film technologies for achieving sustainable packaging of food products-A review , TRENDS IN FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY (2021)
- Hydrothermal and mechanically generated hemp hurd nanofibers for sustainable barrier coatings/films , INDUSTRIAL CROPS AND PRODUCTS (2021)
- Insisting upon Meaningful Results from Adsorption Experiments , SEPARATION AND PURIFICATION REVIEWS (2021)
- Recent developments in colorimetric and optical indicators stimulated by volatile base nitrogen to monitor seafood freshness , FOOD PACKAGING AND SHELF LIFE (2021)
- Rheological Aspects of Cellulose Nanomaterials: Governing Factors and Emerging Applications , ADVANCED MATERIALS (2021)
- Soft mechanical treatments of recycled fibers using a high-shear homogenizer for tissue and hygiene products , CELLULOSE (2021)
- Spraying starch on the Fourdrinier-An option between wet end starch and the size press , TAPPI JOURNAL (2021)
- Accelerated Aging of Deacidified and Untreated Book Paper in 1967 Compared with 52 Years of Natural Aging , RESTAURATOR-INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL FOR THE PRESERVATION OF LIBRARY AND ARCHIVAL MATERIAL (2020)
- Crude Wood Rosin and Its Derivatives as Hydrophobic Surface Treatment Additives for Paper and Packaging , ACS OMEGA (2020)