Area(s) of Expertise
Chemical paper additives, colloidal chemistry affecting dewatering, charged nature of cellulosic materials and dry strength development
Dr. Martin A. Hubbe, Professor, and Buckman Distinguished Scientist, focuses on chemical additives to the paper machine, including the colloidal chemistry affecting dewatering, the charged nature of cellulosic materials and the development of dry strength.
Dr. Hubbe has an M.S. degree from the Institute of Paper Chemistry and a Ph.D. in colloidal chemistry from Clarkson University. His teaching is primarily related to paper machine wet-end and colloidal chemistry.
Dr. Hubbe is a member of TAPPI, where he has chaired short-courses and earned a Division Award for service. Together with Dr. Lucian Lucia, he is also founding co-editor of the online peer-reviewed journal BioResources. Recent research has been aimed at mechanisms underlying the use of polyampholytes as dry-strength additives, and a reinterpretation of the nanoporosity and charge characteristics of cellulosic fibers, including their interactions with cationic polyelectrolytes.
- Citrus-based hydrocolloids: A water retention aid and rheology modifier for paper coatings (2019)
- Flexible and Pressure-Responsive Sensors from Cellulose Fibers Coated with Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes (2019)
- High-Strength Antibacterial Chitosan-Cellulose Nanocrystal Composite Tissue Paper (2019)
- Highly conductive carbon nanotubes and flexible cellulose nanofibers composite membranes with semi-interpenetrating networks structure (2019)
- Impact of oxidative carbonization on structure development of loblolly pine-derived biochar investigated by nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (2019)
- Nanocellulose-based multilayer barrier coatings for gas, oil, and grease resistance (2019)
- Critical links governing performance of self-binding and natural binders for hot-pressed reconstituted lignocellulosic board without added formaldehyde: A review (2018)
- High performance nanocellulose-based composite coatings for oil and grease resistance (2018)
- Synergy of Silane and Polyacrylate Treatments to Prepare Thermally Stable and Hydrophobic Cellulose Nanocrystals (2018)
- The performance of chitosan with bentonite microparticles as wet-end additive system for paper reinforcement (2018)