Dr. Perry Peralta is an Associate Professor in the Department of Forest Biomaterials and currently serves as Undergraduate Coordinator of the Sustainable Materials & Technology program.
He obtained his Ph.D. from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. He teaches Wood Physical Properties, Wood Mechanics, and Statistical Process Control.
His current research projects include the evaluation of the physical and mechanical properties of loblolly pine deficient in cinnamyl alcohol dehydrogenase, the study of the viscoelastic properties of transgenic aspen, the development of novel forest biomaterials through the application of nonwoven technologies, and the analysis of heat and mass transfer in wood, wood composites, and building envelopes.
Dr. Peralta is a member of the Phi Kappa Phi, Xi Sigma Pi, and Gamma Sigma Delta honor societies, and is an active member of the Forest Products Society and the Society of Wood Science and Technology. He is the recipient of the 2003 NC State University Outstanding Teacher Award.
Area(s) of Expertise
Wood physical properties, wood mechanics, statistical process control, development of novel forest biomaterials through the application of non-woven technologies
- Fungal Pretreatment and Enzymatic Hydrolysis of Genetically-modified Populus trichocarpa , BIORESOURCES (2020)
- ANATOMICAL, PHYSICAL, AND MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF TRANSGENIC LOBLOLLY PINE (PINUS TAEDA L.) MODIFIED FOR INCREASED DENSITY , WOOD AND FIBER SCIENCE (2019)
- Anatomy and Chemistry of Populus trichocarpa with Genetically Modified Lignin Content , BIORESOURCES (2019)
- Thermo-mechanical Behavior of Genetically Modified Populus trichocarpa , BIORESOURCES (2019)
- Altered Lignin Content and Composition in Transgenic Populus trichocarpa Results in a Decrease of Modulus of Elasticity , BIORESOURCES (2018)
- Characterization and enzymatic hydrolysis of wood from transgenic Pinus taeda engineered with syringyl lignin or reduced lignin content , Cellulose (2017)
- Estimating annual riverbank erosion rates-a dendrogeomorphic method , River Research and Applications (2014)
- Modeling of the mechanical properties of a wood-fiber/bicomponent-fiber composite , BioResources (2013)
- Distribution of wood polymers within the cell wall of transgenic aspen imaged by Raman microscopy , Holzforschung (2012)
- Fungal biodegradation of genetically modified and lignin-altered quaking aspen (Populus tremuloides Michx.) , Holzforschung (2012)