Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey. Ph.D.
- Urban Planning
Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Master of Urban Planning
University of Kiril i Methodij, Skopje, Yugoslavia.
- Bachelor of Architecture
Current Research Interests
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Built environment and physical activity
- Urban design
Recent Courses Taught
- DDN 701: Research Methods in Design
- DDN 702: Research Paradigms in Design
- GIS 520: Advanced Geospatial Analytics
- GIS 590: Geospatial Information Science Master’s Project Course
Tsai, W-L., Bruton, C., Leung, Y-F., McHale, M. R., Baran, P. K., Floyd, M. F. (2011). Exploring the Relationship between Urban Forest Characteristics and Human Health. Paper presented at the Society of American Foresters, National Convention. Honolulu, HA: November 2-6, 2011.
Floyd, M.F., Bocarro, J., Smith, W.R., Baran, P., Moore, R.C. & Cosco, N. (2011). Physical and Social Environmental Factors Associated with Children Getting to Parks and Being Active While There: Implications for Research and Practice. Invited paper for International Society of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, Melbourne, Australia: June 15-18.
Hallowell, G. & Baran, P. K. (2011). Structural Inertia: A Model for Use in the Study of Urban Resistance to Change. Paper presented at the 42th Environmental Design Research Association Conference, Chicago, May 25 to May 28, 2011.
Baran, P. K., Smith, W. R., Dulger-Turkoglu, H., Marans, R. W., Bolen, F. (2011). Correlates of Walking Behavior in Istanbul: Individual Attributes, Neighborhood Context and Perceived Safety. Paper presented at the Active Living Research Annual Conference. San Diego, CA: February 22-24.
Baran, P., Danninger, T., Moore, R., Floyd, M. F., Bocarro, J., Cosco, N., Smith, W., & Kepez, O. (2009). Building Custom GIS Tools for Developing Neighborhood Characteristics Measurements. Paper presented at the 2009 NC GIS Conference, Raleigh, NC, February 19-20, 2009.
Floyd, M., William, S., Bocarro, J., Baran, P., Moore, R., & Cosco, N. (2009). What Contributes to Children’s Physical Activity in Urban Neighborhood Parks? An Examination of Individual, Social, and Environmental Factors. Paper presented at the Active Living Research 2009 Annual Conference,San Diego, CA, February, 18 – 20, 2009.
Baran, P. K., Tomlinson, J., Butalia, S. R., & Devine, H. A. (2007). Alternatives for Coastal Development: Water Quality Impacts of Two Different Development Scenarios in Brunswick County, NC. Paper presented at the 2007 NC GIS 10th Anniversary Conference, Winston-Salem, NC, March 1-2, 2007.
Selected Projects/Grants Funding
Devine, H. (PI), Baran, P. (Co-PI) (2011) GIS NC mapping tool. Professional Science Masters Initiative, the Graduate School, NCSU.
Floyd, M. (PI), Baran, P., Anderson, D. H., Henderson, K., Devine, H., Leung, Y.F. & McHale, M. (2009-2012). Understanding Urban and Community Forests Contributions to Physical Activity and Health. USDA, Federal Urban and Community Forestry Grant, $148,752.
Moore, R. (PI), Floyd, M. (Co-PI), Baran, P., Bocarro, J., Cosco, N. & Smith, W. (2007-2009) Investigating parks for active recreation for kids (I-PARK). Active Living Research, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, $205,112.
Turkoglu, H., Bolen, F., Baran, P., & Marans, R. (2004-2006) Measuring the quality of urban life in Istanbul. Istanbul Technical University Research Foundation and Greater Istanbul Municipality.
Tomlinson, J. (PI), Devine, H., & Baran, P. (2004-2006) Water quality impacts of alternative build-out scenarios for Brunswick County, NC. NC Department of Environment and Natural Resources. $302,328
- Exploring perceived restoration potential of urban green enclosure through immersive virtual environments (2018)
- Can trail spatial attributes predict trail use level in urban forest park? An examination integrating GPS data and space syntax theory (2018)
- Urban park pathway design characteristics and senior walking behavior (2017)
- Do configurational attributes matter in context of urban parks? Park pathway configurational attributes and senior walking (2016)
- Social and environmental factors related to boys' and girls' park-based physical activity (2015)
- Residents' perception of cultural activities as quality of life in Istanbul (2015)
- Park use among youth and adults: Examination of individual, social, and urban form factors (2014)
- Does intelligibility affect place legibility? Understanding the relationship between objective and subjective evaluations of the urban environment (2012)
- Park-based physical activity among children and adolescents (2011)