Dr. Philip H. Mitchell, Associate Professor, Ph.D. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, works with the value-added wood products industry in North Carolina.
Some of the educational programs for North Carolina’s secondary wood products industry developed by Dr. Mitchell have included rough mill improvement, wood machining, introduction to CNC routing, wood bonding, wood-moisture relations, and lean practices in furniture manufacturing. Major program areas include lumber cut-up optimization, small scale mass customization, and application of lean manufacturing in the wood industry.
He is a member of the Forest Products Society and is the Secretary of the Southeastern Dry Kiln Club.
- Anatomy and Chemistry of Populus trichocarpa with Genetically Modified Lignin Content (2019)
- Altered Lignin Content and Composition in Transgenic Populus trichocarpa Results in a Decrease of Modulus of Elasticity (2018)
- Calculating the equilibrium moisture content for wood based on humidity measurements (2018)
- Modeling the cupping of lumber (2016)
- Effectiveness of educational tools for hurricane resilience in homes (2012)
- Investigation of machine parameters on the surface quality in routing soft maple (2002)
- Designing a fixed-blade GANG ripsaw arbor with GANGSOLV (1999)