Dr. Phil Mitchell, Wood Products Extension Specialist and Associate Professor at NC State University, works with the value-added wood products industry. He has taught industry-oriented workshops covering a variety of topics including: lumber drying; lumber cut-up optimization; lumber grading: wood gluing, wood-moisture relations, lean implementation, and CNC manufacturing. He is author of Rough Mill Improvement Guide for Managers and Supervisors, and Strategies for the New American Furniture Industry. Current major program areas are cross laminated timbers and the marketing of North Carolina forest products.
Prior to joining NC State in 1996, Dr. Mitchell worked at Weyerhaeuser Company and at Mississippi State University conducting research to improve lumber drying and evaluating drying impacts on wood strength and quality. Dr. Mitchell received his Ph.D. from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Va. Tech).
- Using the Air-Drying Estimator to Predict the Air-Drying Time for Lumber
- The Equilibrium Moisture Content of Wood in Exterior Locations in the United States
Area(s) of Expertise
Value-added wood products, lumber cut-up improvement, lumber drying, wood properties and behavior, cross laminated timer.
- Evaluation of Low-Cost Moisture Meters for Wood , JOURNAL OF TESTING AND EVALUATION (2021)
- ANATOMICAL, PHYSICAL, AND MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF TRANSGENIC LOBLOLLY PINE (PINUS TAEDA L.) MODIFIED FOR INCREASED DENSITY , WOOD AND FIBER SCIENCE (2019)
- Anatomy and Chemistry of Populus trichocarpa with Genetically Modified Lignin Content , BIORESOURCES (2019)
- Development of an Air Drying Index for Lumber , BIORESOURCES (2019)
- Altered Lignin Content and Composition in Transgenic Populus trichocarpa Results in a Decrease of Modulus of Elasticity , BIORESOURCES (2018)
- Calculating the equilibrium moisture content for wood based on humidity measurements , BioResources (2018)
- Modeling the cupping of lumber , BioResources (2016)
- Effectiveness of educational tools for hurricane resilience in homes , Disaster Prevention and Management (2012)
- Investigation of machine parameters on the surface quality in routing soft maple , Forest Products Journal (2002)
- Designing a fixed-blade GANG ripsaw arbor with GANGSOLV , Forest Products Journal (1999)