– Professor, NCSU (USA)
– Distinguished Professor of Green Chemistry, Qilu University of Technology (PR China)
– Foreign Talent Professor, Jiangnan University (PR China)
– Fulbright Scholar (Brazil)
Twitter | @WolfPackBark
Research Group | http://www4.ncsu.edu/~lalucia, http://www.ncsu.edu/chemistry/people/lal.html
Open Access Publication Site | http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Lucian_Lucia/
BioResources | http://www.bioresources.com
Dr. Lucian A. Lucia currently serves as Professor in the Departments of Forest Biomaterials (Wood & Paper Science) and Chemistry and as a faculty in the programs of Fiber & Polymer Science and Environmental Sciences at North Carolina State University. His laboratory, The Laboratory of Soft Materials & Green Chemistry, probes fundamental materials science topics focused on the green chemistry of renewable polymers. He received his Ph.D. in organic chemistry from the University of Florida for modeling photoinduced charge separation states of novel Rhenium (I)-based organometallic ensembles as a first order approximation of photosynthesis.
He began his professional career as an Assistant Professor at the Institute of Paper Science and Technology at the Georgia Institute of Technology examining the mechanism of singlet oxygen’s chemistry with lignin & cellulose.
A large part of his recent work has been focused on the chemical modification of cellulosics for biomedical applications.
He teaches Forest Biomaterials Chemistry (WPS 723), From Papyrus to Plasma Screens: Paper & Society (PSE 220), Green Chemistry (PSE/CH 335), and the FB Graduate Student Seminar Series (WPS 590/790) at NCSU while teaching Wood Chemistry and Green Chemistry at Qilu University of Technology in PR China.
He has co-founded and co-edits an open-access international research journal, BioResources, that is dedicated to original research articles, reviews, and editorials on the fundamental science & engineering and advanced applications of lignocellulosic materials.
Area(s) of Expertise
Green chemistry, fiber and polymer science, environmental sciences, materials science, renewable polymers, chemical modification of cellulosics for biomedical applications
- Bacterial Superoleophobic Fibrous Matrices: A Naturally Occurring Liquid-Infused System for Oil-Water Separation , LANGMUIR (2021)
- Extension of a steady-state chlorine dioxide brightening model for Z-ECF bleaching of softwood kraft pulps , TAPPI JOURNAL (2021)
- Hydrogel-Based Sensor Networks: Compositions, Properties, and Applications-A Review , ACS APPLIED BIO MATERIALS (2021)
- Hydrothermal and mechanically generated hemp hurd nanofibers for sustainable barrier coatings/films , INDUSTRIAL CROPS AND PRODUCTS (2021)
- Improved stress relaxation resistance of composites films by soy protein polymer , COMPOSITES COMMUNICATIONS (2021)
- Poly(aminobenzeneboronic acid)-mediated rapid self-healing and shape memory cellulose crystal nanohydrogels , CARBOHYDRATE POLYMERS (2021)
- Probing the molecular weights of sweetgum and pine kraft lignin fractions , TAPPI JOURNAL (2021)
- Pulp Properties and Spent Pretreatment Solution Resulting from Reed Pulping with a Low Alkali Loading , BIORESOURCES (2021)
- Simultaneously improved chitin gel formation and thermal stability promoted by TiO2 , JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR LIQUIDS (2021)
- 3D Photoinduced Spatiotemporal Resolution of Cellulose-Based Hydrogels for Fabrication of Biomedical Devices , ACS APPLIED BIO MATERIALS (2020)