Area(s) of Expertise
Green chemistry, fiber and polymer science, environmental sciences, materials science, renewable polymers, chemical modification of cellulosics for biomedical applications
– Associate Professor, NCSU (USA)
– Distinguished Professor of Green Chemistry, Qilu University of Technology (PR China)
– Foreign Talent Professor, Jiangnan University (PR China)
– Fulbright Scholar (Brazil)
Twitter | @WolfPackBark
Research Group | http://www4.ncsu.edu/~lalucia, http://www.ncsu.edu/chemistry/people/lal.html
Open Access Publication Site | http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Lucian_Lucia/
BioResources | http://www.bioresources.com
Dr. Lucian A. Lucia currently serves as an Associate Professor in the Departments of Forest Biomaterials (Wood & Paper Science) and Chemistry and as a faculty in the programs of Fiber & Polymer Science and Environmental Sciences at North Carolina State University. His laboratory, The Laboratory of Soft Materials & Green Chemistry, probes fundamental materials science topics focused on the green chemistry of renewable polymers. He received his Ph.D. in organic chemistry from the University of Florida for modeling photoinduced charge separation states of novel Rhenium (I)-based organometallic ensembles as a first order approximation of photosynthesis.
He began his professional career as an Assistant Professor at the Institute of Paper Science and Technology at the Georgia Institute of Technology examining the mechanism of singlet oxygen’s chemistry with lignin & cellulose.
A large part of his recent work has been focused on the chemical modification of cellulosics for biomedical applications.
He teaches Forest Biomaterials Chemistry (WPS 723), From Papyrus to Plasma Screens: Paper & Society (PSE 220), Green Chemistry (PSE/CH 335), and the FB Graduate Student Seminar Series (WPS 590/790) at NCSU while teaching Wood Chemistry and Green Chemistry at Qilu University of Technology in PR China.
He has co-founded and co-edits an open-access international research journal, BioResources, that is dedicated to original research articles, reviews, and editorials on the fundamental science & engineering and advanced applications of lignocellulosic materials.
- Cholesterol-modified lignin: A new avenue for green nanoparticles, meltable materials, and drug delivery (2020)
- Ecofriendly and Innovative Processing of Hemp Hurds Fibers for Tissue and Towel Paper (2020)
- Highly tunable bioadhesion and optics of 3D printable PNIPAm/cellulose nanofibrils hydrogels (2020)
- Hydrothermal Carbonization of Nanofibrillated Cellulose: A Pioneering Model Study Demonstrating the Effect of Size on Final Material Qualities (2020)
- Impact factors for flux decline in ultrafiltration of lignocellulosic hydrolysis liquor (2020)
- Innovating Generation of Nanocellulose from Industrial Hemp by Dual Asymmetric Centrifugation (2020)
- Investigation on the recycling of sulfuric acid from pretreatment of cellulose for nanocellulose preparation (2020)
- Lipase-catalyzed laurate esterification of cellulose nanocrystals and their use as reinforcement in PLA composites (2020)
- Stabilization of chitosan-based polyelectrolyte nanoparticle cargo delivery biomaterials by a multiple ionic cross-linking strategy (2020)
- Staged Alkali and Hydrogen Peroxide Treatment of Poplar Chemi-Mechanical Pulp (2020)