– Associate Professor, NCSU (USA)
– Distinguished Professor of Green Chemistry, Qilu University of Technology (PR China)
– Foreign Talent Professor, Jiangnan University (PR China)
– Fulbright Scholar (Brazil)
Twitter | @WolfPackBark
Research Group | http://www4.ncsu.edu/~lalucia, http://www.ncsu.edu/chemistry/people/lal.html
Open Access Publication Site | http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Lucian_Lucia/
BioResources | http://www.bioresources.com
Lucian A. Lucia currently serves as an Associate Professor in the Departments of Forest Biomaterials (Wood & Paper Science) and Chemistry and as a faculty in the programs of Fiber & Polymer Science and Environmental Sciences at North Carolina State University. His laboratory, The Laboratory of Soft Materials & Green Chemistry, probes fundamental materials science topics focused on the green chemistry of renewable polymers. He received his Ph.D. in organic chemistry from the University of Florida for modeling photoinduced charge separation states of novel Rhenium (I)-based organometallic ensembles as a first order approximation of photosynthesis.
He began his professional career as an Assistant Professor at the Institute of Paper Science and Technology at the Georgia Institute of Technology examining the mechanism of singlet oxygen’s chemistry with lignin & cellulose.
A large part of his recent work has been focused on the chemical modification of cellulosics for biomedical applications.
He teaches Forest Biomaterials Chemistry (WPS 723), From Papyrus to Plasma Screens: Paper & Society (PSE 220), Green Chemistry (PSE/CH 335), and the FB Graduate Student Seminar Series (WPS 590/790) at NCSU while teaching Wood Chemistry and Green Chemistry at Qilu University of Technology in PR China.
He has co-founded and co-edits an open-access international research journal, BioResources, that is dedicated to original research articles, reviews, and editorials on the fundamental science & engineering and advanced applications of lignocellulosic materials.
- A new protocol for efficient and high yield preparation of cellulose nanofibrils (2019)
- Crustacean shell-based biosorption water remediation platforms: Status and perspectives (2019)
- Fabrication, characteristics and applications of carbon materials with different morphologies and porous structures produced from wood liquefaction: A review (2019)
- High-Strength Antibacterial Chitosan-Cellulose Nanocrystal Composite Tissue Paper (2019)
- Informal STEM education will accelerate the bioeconomy (2019)
- Nanocellulose-based multilayer barrier coatings for gas, oil, and grease resistance (2019)
- Tuning the Morphology of Microparticles from Spray Drying of Cellulose Nanocrystal Suspensions by Hydrophobic Lignin (2019)
- Unique thermo-responsivity and tunable optical performance of poly(N-isopropylacrylamide)-cellulose nanocrystal hydrogel films (2019)
- A highly flexible self-powered biosensor for glucose detection by epitaxial deposition of gold nanoparticles on conductive bacterial cellulose (2018)
- Active Tara Gum/PVA Blend Films with Curcumin-Loaded CTAC Brush-TEMPO-Oxidized Cellulose Nanocrystals (2018)