Area(s) of Expertise
Green chemistry, fiber and polymer science, environmental sciences, materials science, renewable polymers, chemical modification of cellulosics for biomedical applications
– Associate Professor, NCSU (USA)
– Distinguished Professor of Green Chemistry, Qilu University of Technology (PR China)
– Foreign Talent Professor, Jiangnan University (PR China)
– Fulbright Scholar (Brazil)
Twitter | @WolfPackBark
Research Group | http://www4.ncsu.edu/~lalucia, http://www.ncsu.edu/chemistry/people/lal.html
Open Access Publication Site | http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Lucian_Lucia/
BioResources | http://www.bioresources.com
Dr. Lucian A. Lucia currently serves as an Associate Professor in the Departments of Forest Biomaterials (Wood & Paper Science) and Chemistry and as a faculty in the programs of Fiber & Polymer Science and Environmental Sciences at North Carolina State University. His laboratory, The Laboratory of Soft Materials & Green Chemistry, probes fundamental materials science topics focused on the green chemistry of renewable polymers. He received his Ph.D. in organic chemistry from the University of Florida for modeling photoinduced charge separation states of novel Rhenium (I)-based organometallic ensembles as a first order approximation of photosynthesis.
He began his professional career as an Assistant Professor at the Institute of Paper Science and Technology at the Georgia Institute of Technology examining the mechanism of singlet oxygen’s chemistry with lignin & cellulose.
A large part of his recent work has been focused on the chemical modification of cellulosics for biomedical applications.
He teaches Forest Biomaterials Chemistry (WPS 723), From Papyrus to Plasma Screens: Paper & Society (PSE 220), Green Chemistry (PSE/CH 335), and the FB Graduate Student Seminar Series (WPS 590/790) at NCSU while teaching Wood Chemistry and Green Chemistry at Qilu University of Technology in PR China.
He has co-founded and co-edits an open-access international research journal, BioResources, that is dedicated to original research articles, reviews, and editorials on the fundamental science & engineering and advanced applications of lignocellulosic materials.
- Poly(aminobenzeneboronic acid)-mediated rapid self-healing and shape memory cellulose crystal nanohydrogels (2021)
- 3D Photoinduced Spatiotemporal Resolution of Cellulose-Based Hydrogels for Fabrication of Biomedical Devices (2020)
- A Quantitative Comparison of the Precipitation Behavior of Lignin from Sweetgum and Pine Kraft Black Liquors (2020)
- A feasible approach efficiently redisperse dried cellulose nanofibrils in water: vacuum or freeze drying in the presence of sodium chloride (2020)
- Cholesterol-modified lignin: A new avenue for green nanoparticles, meltable materials, and drug delivery (2020)
- Ecofriendly and Innovative Processing of Hemp Hurds Fibers for Tissue and Towel Paper (2020)
- Efficient green approaches for the preparation of physically crosslinked chitin gel materials by freeze-induced self-assembly (2020)
- Enhancement of Delignification by Ionic Liquids Pretreatment and Modification of Hardwood Kraft Pulp in Preparation for Bleaching (2020)
- Enhancement of Lignin Extraction of Poplar by Treatment of Deep Eutectic Solvent with Low Halogen Content (2020)
- Esterified Polysaccharide Composites that Display Super Absorbency from Highly Favorable Hydrogen and Ionic Interactions (2020)