Ellie Whittington – Masters Student

About Me
Currently, I am master’s student working with Dr. Michael Kanters pursuing a degree in Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management as well as a graduate certificate in Sport and Entertainment Venue Management. My background is in broadcast journalism and sport management. I have worked for the New York Yankees in the Bronx, NY and interned for WXII 12 News in Winston-Salem, NC and Major League Baseball in New York, NY. If you can’t tell, I am an avid sports fan and want to continue with a career in media in either professional or collegiate sports.
Who has been the most influential to you?
My mom – thank you for supporting me and encouraging me to follow my dreams (no matter where in the world that may be)
Troy Carlton and Mark Walpole – former Elon professors – Thank you for your mentorship. I wouldn’t be at NC State without you.
Friends –for pushing me and encouraging me every day to be the best
Professional Goal
Sports Broadcast Journalist
Previous Degrees and where I received them
Elon University, Bachelor of Arts Journalism with a minor in sport management
December 2017
“Words of Wisdom” for perspective students
“Let’s do what we love and do a lot of it” – Marc Jacobs
“Don’t give up, don’t ever give up” – Jim Valvano
Find your passion. Find what brings you the most joy. Chase that. For me, grad school is an avenue to be able to do what I love every day. Work hard but also take time for the things you love the most. You CAN do it. We are all in this together!
My Leisure Interests
Outside of school you will find me watching sports (a newly avid Wolfpack fan!), visiting new stadiums (I have 15/30 at MLB Ballparks), traveling the world, going to group fitness classes, exploring coffee shops, outdoor adventuring in western North Carolina, or blogging (theellietimes.com).