Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management graduate students are admitted to the university through NC State’s Graduate School. Faculty in our department review applications and make recommendations to the Graduate School regarding admission of applicants to the department.
Once admitted, graduate students will enroll in courses listed on the Student Services website. All of our graduate courses are designated as 500-level or higher. It is common for students pursuing graduate degrees to follow a study program that includes courses in a variety of areas.
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 for master’s applicants and at least a 3.5 for Ph.D. applicants.
- Official Transcripts documenting successful completion of an undergraduate or graduate degree
- Acceptable Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores on quantitative, verbal and analytical writing. No GRE is required for online degree applicants with a minimum of two years full-time professional work experience. Applicants with less than two years work experience will be required to take either the GRE or the Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT) to be considered for admission into the program.
> The GRE requirement has been temporarily waived for 2021-22 admissions for all PRTM graduate degree programs.
- Three letters of recommendation (two academic references for on-campus degree applicants and at least one academic reference for online degree applicants)
Your personal statement (1-2 pages) should focus on your professional interests and how this degree will help you meet those interests and goals. We suggest that you list your goals and objectives at the beginning of the personal statement to make it easier for faculty to review your application.
Please also attach your resume (1-2 pages) to your application.
Our department welcomes graduate students from universities all around the world. For international students, the NC State Graduate School has a few extra requirements:
- Acceptable TOEFL scores of at least 80 on the internet-based version. Section O: English Proficiency Requirements of the Graduate Handbook lists minimum scores for each section). Scores should be no more than 2 years old.
- A Visa Clearance Form and a Certificate of Financial Responsibility before a final admission decision can be made.