Caitlin Reilley – Masters Student

Home Country/Town: Charlottesville, Virginia
Bachelor Degree: Environmental Studies, Davidson College, NC
Primary research interest: Understanding outcomes of agricultural education in K-12 students
Advisor: Dr. Kathryn Stevenson

About Me
I am an M.S. student working with Dr. Kathryn Stevenson studying the effects of agritourism experiences on teachers, students, and their families. I am interested in understanding how experiential education and intergenerational learning can help create change around critical environmental issues and I want to learn more about how people form connections to farms and the natural environment. As an undergraduate at Davidson College I loved natural science and was involved with geology research but my time at Davidson also led me to value human-nature relationships and I’m excited to dig in to human side of conservation in my research here at NC State. Before joining the Wolfpack I worked in outdoor recreation leading backcountry trips, in outdoor programming & land stewardship with an environmental non-profit, and at a field station in the Australian rainforest.
Who has been most influential to you?
I spent a lot of time with my grandfather when I was growing up and he taught me how to ride a bike, ice skate, build sandcastles, watch football, run long distances with joy, and appreciate a good meal – all things I still love to do. I am forever grateful to him for our time together and to my mom for sending me to hang out with him.
Professional Goal
I love academic research and I also love getting my hands dirty working in environmental outreach and education in the non-profit sector. I’m excited to explore both of these passions in my time as a graduate student at NC State and to stay open to opportunities to learn and explore more within our field in whatever form that takes.
Previous Degrees and Where I Received these Degrees
B.S. in Environmental Studies – Davidson College (Go Cats!)
“Words of Wisdom” for Prospective Students
Take time for people. You’ll probably always be busy and humans are usually pretty fun.
My Leisure Interests
I love running, hiking, paddling, biking, camping, picnicking, cartwheeling (jk I can’t do a cartwheel) – basically if it’s outside and there are snacks involved, I’m there.