Melissa Simmons, Director of Operations for NC State Wrestling

Wrestling Award -Melissa Simmons, Director of Operations for NC State Wrestling -Parks Recreation and Tourism Management NC State

How did a graduate certificate help you in your role as director of operations?

“The Sport and Entertainment Venue Management (SEVM) graduate certificate helped me better understand the other side of being a director of operations. Knowing the dynamics and workings of the sport and entertainment venue industry has been instrumental in creating more opportunities and elevating my career.
There have been several times that I had to negotiate contracts, submit bids for events and coordinate venue and staffing needs. I was able to directly apply what I had learned in PRT 511 and 512 this spring when we submitted a bid to USA Wrestling and was able to host the 2019 USA Wrestling World Team Trials event here at NC State. I don’t think that event would have run as smoothly and successfully if I had not been able to learn from the top professionals who run arenas like PNC and other NHL venues. Having the opportunity to stay logged into class to ask questions directly to these individuals was incredibly invaluable.”
If the role of director of operations interests you, learn how an online graduate certificate in Sport and Entertainment Venue Management can help you gain the skills and knowledge to succeed in this field.

Melissa Simmons holds a Masters of Science in Parks, Recreation, Tourism and Sport Management and a graduate certificate in Sport and Entertainment Venue Management from NC State’s College of Natural Resources.

Read the Full Story from NC State’s “Online and Distance Education News”