Faculty Feature: Meet Martha Brown

A lecturer in the Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management, Martha Brown came to NC State in 2018. She manages the department’s internship program and works closely with students to help them gain professional experiences and develop essential contacts in the area in which they are studying.

An Interview with Martha

Where were you born? Where have you lived?

I was technically born in Youngstown, Ohio but have lived in New Wilmington, PA, Upland, IN, Washington, D.C., Alexandria, VA, Pittsburgh, PA, Ontario, CA, and Mooresville, NC.

Tell us about your educational background and your favorite subjects in school.

I got a bachelor of arts degree in political science at Taylor University in Upland, Indiana and a masters of science in sport management at Slippery Rock University in Pennsylvania. In school, I enjoyed studying Government, American Politics and Constitutional Law.

PRTM is known for our internship program. What is your role in it?

The internship program in PRTM is possibly one of the most important parts of our students’ degree program. It is the opportunity for them to put into practice the things they’ve been learning in the classroom as well as network and look to the future. It can also provide a situation where maybe a student figures out what they DON’T want to do in the future. It’s just a pivotal experience for our students.

What do you enjoy most about your job?

The thing I enjoy most about my job is the opportunity I have to interact with our amazing students. I can’t tell you how much hope and joy these interactions provide me on a daily basis.

What would you like to tell us about your family?

I have the privilege of raising two amazing little boys with my spouse, Andy. He also works at NC State. These are the loves of my life and I’m so thankful for each of them.

Favorite way to spend a weekend?

Taking the boys to the park, dance parties in the living room and nice long naps. I’m lucky if I get one, though!

What are your hobbies and guilty pleasures?

I love watching Pittsburgh Penguins hockey and I’m working my way through the Bridgerton novels. Those stories are truly my guilty pleasure.