Our mission is to advance scholarship concerning the management and use of natural and built environments, as well as cultural resources for recreation, tourism, and sport through innovative social science research, teaching, and public engagement.
We are a community of scholars dedicated to preparing students to be lifelong learners and leaders in a global society committed to developing parks, recreation, tourism, and sport resources that improve quality of life, promote social equity, and are environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable.
PRTM is a recognized leader in providing North Carolina’s public and private recreation, sport, and tourism sectors with highly competent professionals who apply the best scientific knowledge to the planning and management of the natural and built environments on which recreation, sport, and tourism depend. Graduates leave prepared to apply evidence-based practices in developing recreation, sport, and tourism programs that meet the needs of the public, provide vitality to the state’s rural and urban communities, and are sustainable ecologically, economically and socially.
As a department that fully embraces NC State’s land grant mission, our teaching, research, and extension programs strengthen the university’s core mission and values and are responsive to the five goals noted in the NC State’s strategic plan, The Pathway to the Future as well as the strategic plan for the College of Natural Resources. Moreover, the breadth of disciplinary and interdisciplinary expertise and talent of our faculty offer across the parks, recreation, sport, and tourism areas provide us with unique opportunities to be strong collaboration partners and to be engaged in creating solutions to critical national and global challenges related to parks, recreation, sport and tourism.
We accomplish our mission through innovative and creative teaching, collaborative research, and focused engagement with local community, national, and global partners.
We are committed to creating a future that includes:
- A diverse professional workforce prepared to lead and adapt within a rapidly changing world;
- Healthy communities and high quality of life for people across the lifespan;
- Healthy, viable natural ecosystems and a sustained flow of ecosystem services;
- Strong, vibrant and sustainable local and state economies;
- Globally engaged citizens committed to equity and sustainability;
- A vibrant Department deeply engaged in solving real world problems and meeting the strategic goals of the College of Natural Resources and NC State University.
Our vision acknowledges our leadership position in North Carolina for undergraduate and graduate degree programs in parks, recreation, sport and tourism management and as a leading program nationwide for instruction at the undergraduate and graduate levels, research, and service and public engagement.
Using our mission and vision, as well as the five goals in NC State’s overall strategic plan, PRTM identified the following objectives:
- Provide an undergraduate curriculum that empowers students to become leaders in their fields
- Increase fundraising for scholarship, research, endowed positions, and other departmental initiatives
- Foster a community of scholarship that increases participation in undergraduate research by engaging faculty and graduate students
- Enhance and expand professional development and student services for undergraduate students through a professional development certificate program
- Increase social opportunities and collaborative space to foster collaboration and cross-pollination of ideas
- Highlight departmental achievements by supporting our external partners and communities that we serve
- Academic Excellence – in all its forms: the scholarship of discovery, teaching, and engagement;
- Respect – for one another, our students, colleagues, and others and for the different roles they play in their contributions to our Mission;
- Collegiality and Commitment – to one another in achieving shared goals and to our undergraduate and graduate students in supporting their learning, professional goals, and scholarly aspirations;
- Intellectual Diversity – to research and scholarship;
- Stewardship – of the resources provided to us to achieve our Vision;
- Professional Dedication – to improving the quality of life in our state, nation, and world;
- Professional Relationships – to maintain and strengthen our relationships with our students, university colleagues, professional partners, and concerned citizens in all of our communities.
- Integrity – in all its forms: truthful, ethical, and lawful as we work to realize our Mission;
- Transparency – in carrying out our professional responsibilities with one another, our students, colleagues, partners, collaborators and others;
- Accountability – in our decisions and actions with one another, our students, colleagues, partners, collaborators and others.