University of California, Irvine. Ph.D. 2009
- Social Ecology
Wofford College, Spartanburg, SC. B.S. 2000
Current Research Interests
- How, where, and why our public built environments impact health behaviors such as physical activity and recreation.
- Use of emerging technologies and crowdsourcing to study the interaction between built environments and community health behaviors.
- Understanding and improving spatial uncertainty in built environment and physical activity research.
- How programs such as Open Streets and Ciclovias help activate public built environments and potentially increase healthy and sustainable behaviors.
- The effect of the environment where we spend most of our time (work/school and sleep) on leisure time physical activity.
Recent Courses Taught
- PRT 504: Data Management and Evaluation in Parks, Recreation Tourism & Sport
- A multilevel approach for promoting physical activity in rural communities: a cluster randomized controlled trial (2019)
- Association Between Neighborhood Income, Patterns of Use, and Physical Activity Levels in Fitness Zones of Curitiba, Brazil (2019)
- Associations Between Timing of Meals, Physical Activity, Light Exposure, and Sleep With Body Mass Index in Free-Living Adults (2019)
- How Does Park Use and Physical Activity Differ between Childhood and Adolescence? A Focus on Gender and Race-Ethnicity (2019)
- Latent profile analysis of accelerometer-measured sleep, physical activity, and sedentary time and differences in health characteristics in adult women (2019)
- Park use preferences and physical activity among ethnic minority children in low-income neighborhoods in New York City (2019)
- ParkIndex: Using Key Informant Interviews to Inform the Development of a New Park Access Evaluation Tool (2019)
- Recreational walking decisions in urban away-from-home environments: The relevance of air quality, noise, traffic, and the natural environment (2019)
- Short-term associations between objective crime, park-use, and park-based physical activity in low-income neighborhoods (2019)
- Zeitgebers and their association with rest-activity patterns (2019)