University of California, Irvine. Ph.D. 2009
- Social Ecology
Wofford College, Spartanburg, SC. B.S. 2000
Current Research Interests
- How, where, and why our public built environments impact health behaviors such as physical activity and recreation.
- Use of emerging technologies and crowdsourcing to study the interaction between built environments and community health behaviors.
- Understanding and improving spatial uncertainty in built environment and physical activity research.
- How programs such as Open Streets and Ciclovias help activate public built environments and potentially increase healthy and sustainable behaviors.
- The effect of the environment where we spend most of our time (work/school and sleep) on leisure time physical activity.
Recent Courses Taught
- PRT 504: Data Management and Evaluation in Parks, Recreation Tourism & Sport
- Applying Systems Thinking Approaches to Address Preventive Health Factors through Public Parks and Recreation Agencies , JOURNAL OF PARK AND RECREATION ADMINISTRATION (2022)
- Cultivating social capital in diverse, low-income neighborhoods: The value of parks for parents with young children , LANDSCAPE AND URBAN PLANNING (2022)
- GIS&T in Recreation Planning and Management , Geographic Information Science & Technology Body of Knowledge (2022)
- GPS-based activity space exposure to greenness and walkability is associated with increased accelerometer-based physical activity , ENVIRONMENT INTERNATIONAL (2022)
- Frequency of Neighborhood Park Use Is Associated With Physical Activity Among Adults in Four US Cities , JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY & HEALTH (2021)
- Land use diversity and park use in New York City , PREVENTIVE MEDICINE REPORTS (2021)
- Measuring Nature Contact: A Narrative Review , INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH AND PUBLIC HEALTH (2021)
- The association between neighborhood quality, youth physical fitness, and modifiable cardiovascular disease risk factors , ANNALS OF EPIDEMIOLOGY (2021)
- Urban Park Use During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Are Socially Vulnerable Communities Disproportionately Impacted? , FRONTIERS IN SUSTAINABLE CITIES (2021)
- Automated High-Frequency Observations of Physical Activity Using Computer Vision , MEDICINE AND SCIENCE IN SPORTS AND EXERCISE (2020)
- Center for Geospatial Analytics
- Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management
- Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management: PRTM Faculty
- Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management: PRTM Graduate Faculty
- Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management: PRTM Online Masters Degree Faculty