University of California, Irvine. Ph.D. 2009
- Social Ecology
Wofford College, Spartanburg, SC. B.S. 2000
Current Research Interests
- How, where, and why our public built environments impact health behaviors such as physical activity and recreation.
- Use of emerging technologies and crowdsourcing to study the interaction between built environments and community health behaviors.
- Understanding and improving spatial uncertainty in built environment and physical activity research.
- How programs such as Open Streets and Ciclovias help activate public built environments and potentially increase healthy and sustainable behaviors.
- The effect of the environment where we spend most of our time (work/school and sleep) on leisure time physical activity.
Recent Courses Taught
- PRT 504: Data Management and Evaluation in Parks, Recreation Tourism & Sport
- Measuring Nature Contact: A Narrative Review (2021)
- Automated High-Frequency Observations of Physical Activity Using Computer Vision (2020)
- Challenges recruiting diverse youth for physical activity research (2020)
- Nature Prescriptions for Health: A Review of Evidence and Research Opportunities (2020)
- Neighborhood characteristics associated with park use and park-based physical activity among children in low-income diverse neighborhoods in New York City (2020)
- A multilevel approach for promoting physical activity in rural communities: a cluster randomized controlled trial (2019)
- Association Between Neighborhood Income, Patterns of Use, and Physical Activity Levels in Fitness Zones of Curitiba, Brazil (2019)
- Association of Number of Indoor Tanning Salons With Neighborhoods With Higher Concentrations of Male-Male Partnered Households (2019)
- Associations Between Timing of Meals, Physical Activity, Light Exposure, and Sleep With Body Mass Index in Free-Living Adults (2019)
- Building evidence to reduce inequities in youth physical activity and obesity: Introduction to the Physical Activity Research Center (PARC) Special Section (2019)