University of California, Irvine. Ph.D. 2009
- Social Ecology
Wofford College, Spartanburg, SC. B.S. 2000
Current Research Interests
- How, where, and why our public built environments impact health behaviors such as physical activity and recreation.
- Use of emerging technologies and crowdsourcing to study the interaction between built environments and community health behaviors.
- Understanding and improving spatial uncertainty in built environment and physical activity research.
- How programs such as Open Streets and Ciclovias help activate public built environments and potentially increase healthy and sustainable behaviors.
- The effect of the environment where we spend most of our time (work/school and sleep) on leisure time physical activity.
Recent Courses Taught
- PRT 504: Data Management and Evaluation in Parks, Recreation Tourism & Sport
- A multilevel approach for promoting physical activity in rural communities: a cluster randomized controlled trial (2019)
- Availability and Use of Workplace Supports for Health Promotion Among Employees of Small and Large Businesses (2019)
- Park use preferences and physical activity among ethnic minority children in low-income neighborhoods in New York City (2019)
- Zeitgebers and their association with rest-activity patterns (2019)
- Can building design impact physical activity? A natural experiment (2018)
- Cross-sectional associations of active transport, employment status and objectively measured physical activity: analyses from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2018)
- Does availability of worksite supports for physical activity differ by industry and occupation? (2018)
- How segregation makes us fat: Food behaviors and food environment as mediators of the relationship between residential segregation and individual body mass index (2018)
- Relationships between characteristics of urban green land cover and mental health in US metropolitan areas (2018)
- Talking the Walk: Perceptions of Neighborhood Characteristics from Users of Open Streets Programs in Latin America and the USA (2018)