University of California, Irvine. Ph.D. 2009
- Social Ecology
Wofford College, Spartanburg, SC. B.S. 2000
Current Research Interests
- How, where, and why our public built environments impact health behaviors such as physical activity and recreation.
- Use of emerging technologies and crowdsourcing to study the interaction between built environments and community health behaviors.
- Understanding and improving spatial uncertainty in built environment and physical activity research.
- How programs such as Open Streets and Ciclovias help activate public built environments and potentially increase healthy and sustainable behaviors.
- The effect of the environment where we spend most of our time (work/school and sleep) on leisure time physical activity.
Recent Courses Taught
- PRT 504: Data Management and Evaluation in Parks, Recreation Tourism & Sport
- Frequency of Neighborhood Park Use Is Associated With Physical Activity Among Adults in Four US Cities , JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY & HEALTH (2021)
- Land use diversity and park use in New York City , PREVENTIVE MEDICINE REPORTS (2021)
- Measuring Nature Contact: A Narrative Review , INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH AND PUBLIC HEALTH (2021)
- The association between neighborhood quality, youth physical fitness, and modifiable cardiovascular disease risk factors , ANNALS OF EPIDEMIOLOGY (2021)
- Automated High-Frequency Observations of Physical Activity Using Computer Vision , MEDICINE AND SCIENCE IN SPORTS AND EXERCISE (2020)
- Challenges recruiting diverse youth for physical activity research , Preventive Medicine (2020)
- Nature Prescriptions for Health: A Review of Evidence and Research Opportunities , International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (2020)
- Neighborhood characteristics associated with park use and park-based physical activity among children in low-income diverse neighborhoods in New York City , PREVENTIVE MEDICINE (2020)
- ParkIndex: Validation and application of a pragmatic measure of park access and use , PREVENTIVE MEDICINE REPORTS (2020)
- A multilevel approach for promoting physical activity in rural communities: a cluster randomized controlled trial , BMC Public Health (2019)