Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina. Ph.D. 2000
- Tourism Marketing
Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio. M.Ed. 1997
- Sport Management
Universidade Técnica de Lisboa, Lisbo, Portugal. Licenciatura 1995
- Physical Education, Recreation, and Sports Management
Current Research Interests
- People-First Tourism: Social-entrepreneurship; IT 4 change; poverty; one health; community-based conservation
- Sustainable Community Development Through Tourism: community well-being and self-determination; endogenous community development; health and human development.
- Relationship Marketing: loyal customer relationships; brand communities; eco-marketing
Recent Courses Taught
- Sustainable tourism
- Tourism foundations
- Deconstructing tourism (graduate)
Morais, D. B. (2011). Self-determination, human development and tourism entrepreneurship. Presentation at Sparking Social Change Through Design panel seminar, April, Harvard Graduate School of Design, Boston.
Morais, D. B. (2010). Subjective well-being and self-determination in CBNRM and non-CBNRM communities in namibia. Presentation at the Turismo em Meio Insular Africano Seminar, June, Centro de Estudos Africanos, ICTE, Lisbon, Portugal.
Morais, D. B. (2009). Subjective well-being and self-determination among indigenous people involved in community-based wildlife tourism in Namibia’s Kunene region. Presentation at the Coffee Hour seminar, Department of Geography, University Park, PA.
- The Role of Agritourism Microentrepreneurship and Collective Action in Shaping Stewardship of Farmlands , SUSTAINABILITY (2022)
- Gender, work, and tourism in the Guatemalan Highlands , JOURNAL OF SUSTAINABLE TOURISM (2021)
- RECREATION SPECIALIZATION FOR RUNNERS AND EVENT ATTACHMENT , EVENT MANAGEMENT (2021)
- TOURISM MICROENTREPRENEURSHIP AND LAND STEWARDSHIP IN A TZ'UTUJIL MAYAN COFFEE COMMUNITY , TOURISM REVIEW INTERNATIONAL (2021)
- TOURISM MICROENTREPRENEURSHIP: STATE OF THE ART AND RESEARCH AGENDA , TOURISM REVIEW INTERNATIONAL (2021)
- Tourism Microentrepreneurship , (2021)
- A gap analysis of farm tourism microentrepreneurial mentoring needs in North Carolina, USA , JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURE FOOD SYSTEMS AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT (2020)
- Assessing Residents’ Place Attachment to the Guatemalan Maya Landscape Through Mixed Methods Photo Elicitation , Journal of Mixed Methods Research (2019)
- Enhancing self-efficacy to enable tourism microentrepreneurship: a quasi-experiment , Journal of Teaching in Travel & Tourism (2019)
- Rural tourism microentrepreneurs’ self-representation through photography: a counter-hegemonic approach , Rural Society (2019)