- Texas A & M University, College Station, Texas. Ph.D. 2001; Youth Development/Outdoor Education
- Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. M.A. 1995; Youth Development/Outdoor Education
- University of Birmingham, Birmingham, England. B.S. 1992; Race and Ethnicity/Sport Management Concentration
Current Research Interests
- Examining mental health issues and strategies among student athletes (see ACC project)
- Youth development, sport, and physical activity and health (see our Aspen Institute Project)
- Outdoor environments and their influence on children’s health (see the results from our IPARK study)
- Equity issues within sport and recreation environments (see our Health Matters project)
- The intersection of clinical community health (see our Park Rx project)
- Management and policies related to Community Recreation, Parks and Sport (see our Shared Use projects)
- The legacy and role of Mega Sporting Events in promoting healthy communities (See Carnival and EventRights projects)
- Relationship development between youth and adults in community-based youth programs
Recent Courses Taught
- PRT 152 Introduction to Parks, Recreation and Tourism
- PRT 359 Leadership and Supervision in Recreation
- PRT 359 (In London) Organizational Leadership in PRT
- PRT 475 Recreation and Park Internship
- PRT 506 Organizational Behavior and Leadership in SPTR
Selected Projects/Grant Funding
Hardison-Moody, A (PI), Bocarro, J. B., Casper, J.M., Hipp, J. A., (2021-2022). Health Matters: Building Resilient Inclusive Communities (BRIC) – NC Division of Public Health $83,000.
Hardison-Moody, A (PI), Bocarro, J. B., & Hipp, J. A., (2019-2020). Health Matters: Improving Physical Activities among African-American and Low-Income Residents of Edgecombe County – Centers for Disease Control/NC Division of Public Health $79,459.
Brittain, I., McGillivray, D., Bocarro, J. N., Königstorfer, J., Lundberg, E., Misener, L., Funahashi, H., & Travlos, A. (2019-2023). EventRights: Addressing inequality, enhancing diversity and facilitating greater dialogue in the hosting of sporting mega events. – European Commission. €791,000.
Bocarro, J. N., Hipp, J. A., Kanters, M. A., & Floyd, M. F. (2016-2018). Thinking Outside the Pillbox: Prescribing Parks for Community Health – Centers for Disease Control/NC Division of Public Health. $187,761.
Hardison-Moody, A. (PI), Haynes-Maslow, L., Bocarro, J. N., Bloom, D., Hipp. J. A. Edwards, M. B., Floyd, M. F., Dunn, C., Bowen, S., Schulman, M. (2016-2018). Building Community Capacity to Prevent Obesity: Extension and Engagement in Four North Carolina Counties – Centers for Disease Control. $1,582,325.
Kanters, M. A., Casper, J., Edwards, M.B., & Bocarro, J. N. (2017-18). Healthy Sport Index – Aspen Institute. $125,680.
Brittain, I., Kipnes, E., Bocarro, J. N., Königstorfer, J., Swart, K. Meloneto, F. (2014-2017). CARNiVAL: An examination of the impact of cultural and sporting mega-events – European Commission. €852,000.
Bocarro, J. N., Floyd, M.F., & Fearn, M. (2015-17). National Park Service Relevance, Diversity and Inclusion Inventory – National Park Service. $87,000.
Edwards, M. B., Bocarro, J. N., Floyd, M.F., & Moore, R. (2014-15). Public Park and Trail Support of Public Health Goals – National Park Service. $34,000.
Kanters, M., Bocarro, J. N., & Floyd, M.F. (2012-14). Community Transformation Project: Evaluation of Joint Use – Centers for Disease Control/NC Division of Public Health. $235,108
Bocarro, J. N., Kanters, M., Mahar, M., McKenzie, T. (2012). USA Hockey Physical Activity and the ADM Evaluation Study Proposal – USA Hockey. $37,960.
Bocarro, J. N., Kanters, M., Seamons, P., Aitken, L., & Casper, J. (Co-PI with Kanters). (2011-2012). Middle School Sport Policies and Facilities Research Translation Grant (2011-2012) – Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. $26,824.
Bocarro, J. N., Kanters, M., Trogdon, J., MacKenzie, T., & Casper, J. (Co-PI with Kanters). (2010-2011). Middle School Sport Facilities: Policies, Physical Activity, and Cost Effectiveness. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, $100,000.
Kanters, M., Bocarro, J.N., Siderelis, C., Armstrong, P. (2010). NRPA Fees and Charges Survey Project. National Recreation and Parks Association. $18, 829.
Bocarro, J. N., Kanters, M., Mahar, M., MacKenzie, T., & Casper, J. (Co-PI with Kanters). (2008-2010). School Intramural Sports and Physical Activity: A Middle School Policy Intervention. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, $199,495.
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications (from over 70 publications)
Larson, L. R., Zhang, Z., Oh, J. I., Beam, W., Ogletree, S. S., Bocarro, J. N., Lee, K. J., Casper, J., Stevenson, K. T., Hipp, J. A., Mullenbach, L. E., Carusona, M., & Wells, M. (2021). Urban park use during the COVID-19 Pandemic: Are socially vulnerable communities disproportionately impacted? Frontiers in Sustainable Cities, 3 (103).
Acker, D., & Bocarro, J. N. (2021). Preparing students as leaders with a global mindset: A phenomenological case study. Global Education Review, 8 (4), 7-23.
Carlton, T., McKenzie, T. L., Bocarro, J. N., Edwards, M., Casper, J., Suau, L., & Kanters, M. A. (2021). Objective assessment of physical activity and associated contexts during high school sport practices, Frontiers in Sports and Active Living, 3 (181).
Kondo, M.C., Oyekanmi, K. O., Gibson, A., South, E.C., Bocarro, J. N., Hipp, J. A. (2020). Nature Prescriptions for Health: A Systematic Review of Evidence and Research Opportunities. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 17 (12), 4213
Koenigstorfer, J., Bocarro, J.N., Byers, T., Edwards, M.B., & Jones, G.J., Preuss, H. (2019). Mapping Research on Event-Attributed Installations, Consequences, and Stakeholder Evaluations Considered in Empirical Studies on the Legacy of Mega Sporting Events. Leisure Studies, 38 (6), 729-745.
Jones, G.J., Edwards, M.B., Bocarro, J.N., Bunds, K.S., & Smith, J. W. (2018). Leveraging community sport organizations to promote community capacity: Strategic outcomes, challenges, and theoretical considerations. Sport Management Review, 21, 279-292.
Hardison-Moody, A., Edwards, M. B., Bocarro, J.N., Stein, A., Kanters, M. A., Sherman, D., Rhew, L.K., Stallings, W.M., & Bowen, S.K. (2017). Survey of shared use among North Carolina faith communities. Preventing Chronic Disease, 14, E11.
Carlton, T., Kanters, M. A., Bocarro, J.N., Floyd, M.F., Edwards, M.B., & Suau, L.J. (2017). Examining the relationship of shared use programming and leisure time. Preventive Medicine, 95, S10-S16.
Jones, G. J., Edwards, M. B., Bocarro, J. N., Smith, J. W., Bunds, K. S. (2017). Collaborative advantages: The role of inter-organizational partnerships for youth sport non-profit organizations. Journal of Sport Management, 31, 148-160.
Bocarro, J. N., Floyd, M. F., Edwards, M.B., Schultz, C., Smith, W., Baran, P., Moore, R., Cosco, N., & Suau, L.J. (2015). Gender stratified models of social and environmental correlates of park-based physical activity among children and adolescents. Preventing Chronic Disease, 12, E97.
Bocarro, J.N., Kanters, M. A., Edwards, M. B., Casper, J. M., McKenzie, T. L. (2014). Prioritizing school sponsored sport based on observed physical activity. American Journal of Health Promotion, 28(3), S65-S71.
Bocarro, J. N., Kanters, M., Cerin, E., Floyd, M. F., Casper, J., Suau, L.J., & McKenzie, T. (2012). School sport policy and school-based physical activity environments and their association with observed physical activity in middle school children. Health & Place, 18, 31-38.
Floyd, M. F., Bocarro, J. N., Smith, W., Baran, P., Moore, R., Cosco, N., Edwards, M.B., Suau, L.J., & Fang, K.S. (2011). An examination of individual, social, and environmental correlates of children’s park-based physical activity. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 41(3), 258-265.
Bocarro, J. N., Casper, J., Henderson, K., Floyd, M. F., Moore, R., Kanters, M. A., Laven, K., & Edwards, M. B. (2009). Physical activity promotion in North Carolina: Perceptions of public park and recreation directors. Journal of Park and Recreation Administration, 27(1), 1-16.
Floyd, M. F., Bocarro, J. N., & Thompson, T. (2008). Research on race and ethnicity in Leisure Studies: A review of five major journals. Journal of Leisure Research, 40(1), 1-22.
Books and Selected Book Chapters
Brittain, I., Bocarro, J. N., Byers, T., & Swart, K. (2018). Legacies of Mega Events: Fact or Fairy Tales. Routledge: London.
Bocarro, J. N., & Edwards, M.B. (2016). Sport participation. In T. Byers (Ed.), Contemporary Issues in Sport: An Introduction. Sage Publications: London.
Bocarro, J. N., & Edwards, M.B. (2016). Leisure, Health and Physical Activity. In G. Walker, M. Stodolska, & D. Scott (Eds.), Leisure Matters: The State and Future of Leisure Studies. Venture Publishing Inc., State College, PA.
Schultz, C., Bocarro, J. N., Hipp, J. A. & Floyd, M. F. (2018). Development and Evaluation of a Park Rx Park Audit Tool and Inventory. Paper presented at the International Society of Physical Activity & Health Congress, London, England.
Bocarro, J.N., Hardison-Moody, A., Kuhlberg, J., & Haynes-Maslow, L. (2018). Promoting Physical Activity through Shared Agreements. Paper presented at the 2018 National Health Outreach Conference, Bloomington, MN
Bocarro, J.N., Byers, T., Edwards, M.B., Koenigstorfer, J., & Swart, K. (2015). The legacy of mega sport events: A systematic review and
recommendations. Paper presented at the European Association for Sport Management, Dublin, Ireland.
Bocarro, J.N., Barcelona, R.J., Henderson, K.A., & McCord, R. (2014). A systematic review of the management literature. Paper presented at the 2014 NRPA Leisure Research Symposium. Charlotte, NC.
Bocarro, J.N., Kanters, M. A., Edwards, M. B., & Casper, J. M. (2013). Prioritizing school sponsored sport based on observed physical activity. Paper presented at the Active Living Research 2013 Annual Conference. San Diego, CA.
Outstanding Engagement Award (2021) – inducted into the Academy of Outstanding Faculty in Extension and Engagement
Outstanding Global Engagement Award finalist (2020) – recognizes outstanding accomplishment in globally engaged teaching, student support, and research
NC State Provost Faculty Fellow (2019)
The Academy of Leisure Sciences Fellow (2019) – Inducted into the Academy of Leisure Sciences
NC State Faculty Scholar, 2015-2019
Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor Award, 2014/15
International Visiting Fellowship Award, 2014 – Coventry University, UK
NC State Outstanding Teaching Award, 2009/10 – Inducted into the Academy of Outstanding Teachers
College of Natural Resources Outstanding Teacher, 2009/10
UNH Outreach Scholar, 2004/05 – Awarded to faculty members whose research agenda involves a broader audience
SHHS Outstanding New Investigator Award, 2004 – Awarded to an untenured faculty member who has demonstrated extraordinary progress in establishing a productive line of research
Campus Compact for New Hampshire Presidents’ Good Steward Award, 2004 – Awarded to a faculty member in the state who helps strengthen and improve local communities through their work
Roger Ritvo Award, 2003 – Awarded to a faculty member and undergraduate student who collaborate successfully in research
Faculty Instructional Technology Summer Institute Teaching Award, 2003 – Awarded to a faculty member interested in utilizing technology to enhance their teaching
Society of Park and Recreation Educators New Faculty Leadership Award, 2001 – Awarded in recognition of demonstrated leadership activity and leadership potential to the field
Elda K. Bradberry Scholarship, 2001 ($2000)
Texas A&M Department Graduate Scholarship, 2000 ($1000)
Gamma Sigma Delta Member, 1998 – awarded on basis of scholarship/involvement in service.
National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) Scholarship, 1998
Canadian AUAA All Star Athlete, 1993
Running, soccer (both watching and playing), hiking and extended backpacking trips, reading, traveling.
- "I have to be the example": Motherhood as a lens for understanding physical activity among low-income women , JOURNAL OF LEISURE RESEARCH (2022)
- Applying Systems Thinking Approaches to Address Preventive Health Factors through Public Parks and Recreation Agencies , JOURNAL OF PARK AND RECREATION ADMINISTRATION (2022)
- Promoting Recreational Interests of Black Undergraduate Students Attending Historically White Institutions , Recreational Sports Journal (2022)
- The Contribution of Sport in the Rehabilitation Process of Disabled Military Veterans: A Case Study of the 2016 Invictus Games , JOURNAL OF GLOBAL SPORT MANAGEMENT (2022)
- Youth Sport Participation by Metropolitan Status: 2018-2019 National Survey of Children's Health (NSCH) , RESEARCH QUARTERLY FOR EXERCISE AND SPORT (2022)
- An examination of pickleball participation, social connections, and psychological well-being among seniors during the COVID-19 pandemic , WORLD LEISURE JOURNAL (2021)
- Objective Assessment of Physical Activity and Associated Contexts During High School Sport Practices , FRONTIERS IN SPORTS AND ACTIVE LIVING (2021)
- Parental perceptions of the impact of COVID-19 and returning to play based on level of sport , SPORT IN SOCIETY (2021)
- The role of advocacy organisations for ethical mega sport events , SPORT MANAGEMENT REVIEW (2021)
- Urban Park Use During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Are Socially Vulnerable Communities Disproportionately Impacted? , FRONTIERS IN SUSTAINABLE CITIES (2021)