Texas A & M University, College Station, Texas. Ph.D. 2001
- Youth Development/Outdoor Education
Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. M.A. 1995
- Youth Development/Outdoor Education
University of Birmingham, Birmingham, England. B.S. 1992
- Race and Ethnicity/Sport Management Concentration
Current Research Interests
- Youth development, sport, and physical activity
- Outdoor environments and their influence on children’s levels of physical activity
- The role of youth programs in promoting positive youth and adolescent development
- Relationship development between youth and adults in community-based youth programs
- The influence of parents in youth programs and settings
Recent Courses Taught
- PRT 152 Introduction to Parks, Recreation and Tourism
- PRT 359 Leadership and Supervision in Recreation
- PRT 475 Recreation and Park Internship
- PRT 506 Organizational Behavior and Leadership in SPTR
Selected Projects/Grant Funding
Kanters, M., Bocarro, J. N., & Floyd, M.F. (2012-14). Community Transformation Project: Evaluation of Joint Use – Centers for Disease Control/NC Department of Public Health. $235,108
Bocarro, J. N., Kanters, M., Mahar, M., McKenzie, T. (2012). USA Hockey Physical Activity and the ADM Evaluation Study Proposal – USA Hockey. $37,960.
Bocarro, J. N., Kanters, M., Seamons, P., Aitken, L., & Casper, J. (Co-PI with Kanters). (2011-2012). Middle School Sport Policies and Facilities Research Translation Grant (2011-2012) – Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. $26,824.
Bocarro, J. N., Kanters, M., Edwards, M.B. (Co-PI with Kanters). (2011 ).After-School Sports and Facilities on Physical Activity (Commissioned Analysis) (2011) – Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. $14,877.
Bocarro, J. N., Kanters, M., Trogdon, J., MacKenzie, T., & Casper, J. (Co-PI with Kanters). (2010-2011). Middle School Sport Facilities: Policies, Physical Activity, and Cost Effectiveness. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, $100,000.
Kanters, M., Bocarro, J.N., Siderelis, C., Armstrong, P. (2010). NRPA Fees and Charges Survey Project. National Recreation and Parks Association. $18, 829.
Bocarro, J. N., Kanters, M., Mahar, M., MacKenzie, T., & Casper, J. (Co-PI with Kanters). (2008-2010). School Intramural Sports and Physical Activity: A Middle School Policy Intervention. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, $199,495.
Bocarro, J.N., Kanters, M. A., Edwards, M. B., & Casper, J. M. (2013). Prioritizing school sponsored sport based on observed physical activity. Paper presented at the Active Living Research 2013 Annual Conference. San Diego, CA.
Bocarro, J.N., & Morris, C.D. (2011). Evaluating technology for the workplace. RRS Webinar. Raleigh, NC.
Floyd, M.F., & Bocarro, J.N. (2010). IPARC – Investigating Places for Active Recreation in Communities. Advocates for Health in Action Quarterly Meeting. Raleigh, NC.
Bocarro, J. N., & Harrolle, M. (2010). Recreation leadership and professionalism. NC New Directors Workshop. Raleigh, NC.
Kanters, M.A., Bocarro, J.N., Casper, J.M., & Suau, L. (2010). Predictors of middle school sport participation: A comparison of varsity and intramural sport delivery models. International Congress on Physical Activity and Public Health. Toronto, Canada.
Kanters, M.A., Bocarro, J.N., Casper, J., Mahar, M., & Suau, L. (2010). Sport participation and physical activity in middle school students: A comparison of varsity and intramural sport delivery models. Pediatric Healthy Weight Summit. Greenville, NC.
Kanters, M.A., Bocarro, J.N., Forrester, S., & Greenwood, B. (2010). Middle school sport participation: An achievement goal perspective. International Conference on Sport & Society, Vancouver, BC.
Kanters, M. A., Bocarro, J. N., Casper, J., McKenzie, T., Allen, M. & Trogdon, J. (2010). Middle School Sport Facilities: Policies, Physical Activity, and Cost Effectiveness. Active Living Research Conference. San Diego, CA.
Kanters, M. A., Bocarro, J. N., Mahar, M., Casper, J., McKenzie, T., & Perry, W.S. (2009). Middle School Sports and Physical Activity: A Study of Contrasting School Sport Policies. Healthy Kids, Healthy Nation Conference. Atlanta, GA.
Edwards, M.B., Bocarro, J. N., & Kanters, M. (2009). Exploring adolescent sport participation’s effect on adult leisure-time physical activity. 2009 NRPA Leisure Research Abstracts, Salt Lake City, UT.
Mahar, M.T., Guerieri, A.M., Kanters, M.A., & Bocarro, J.N. (2009). Effect on epoch length on objectively-measured physical activity in middle school students. Poster presented at the 2009 American College for Sports Medicine Conference, Seattle, WA.
Floyd, M. F., Bocarro, J. N., Smith, W., Baran, P., Moore, R., & Cosco, N. (2009) What contributes to children’s physical activity in urban neighborhood parks? An examination of individual, social, and environmental factors. Paper presented at the Active Living Research 2009 Annual Conference, San Diego, CA.
NC State Faculty Scholar, 2015-2019
Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor Award, 2014/15
International Visiting Fellowship Award, 2014 – Coventry University, UK
NC State Outstanding Teaching Award, 2009/10 – Inducted into the Academy of Outstanding Teachers
College of Natural Resources Outstanding Teacher, 2009/10
PRTM Outstanding Teacher, 2009/10
UNH Outreach Scholar, 2004/05 – Awarded to faculty members whose research agenda involves a broader audience
SHHS Outstanding New Investigator Award, 2004 – Awarded to an untenured faculty member who has demonstrated extraordinary progress in establishing a productive line of research
Campus Compact for New Hampshire Presidents’ Good Steward Award, 2004 – Awarded to a faculty member in the state who helps strengthen and improve local communities through their work
Roger Ritvo Award, 2003 – Awarded to a faculty member and undergraduate student who collaborate successfully in research
Faculty Instructional Technology Summer Institute Teaching Award, 2003 – Awarded to a faculty member interested in utilizing technology to enhance their teaching
Society of Park and Recreation Educators New Faculty Leadership Award, 2001 – Awarded in recognition of demonstrated leadership activity and leadership potential to the field
Elda K. Bradberry Scholarship, 2001 ($2000)
Texas A&M Department Graduate Scholarship, 2000 ($1000)
Gamma Sigma Delta Member, 1998 – awarded on basis of scholarship/involvement in service.
National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) Scholarship, 1998
Canadian AUAA All Star Athlete, 1993
Other (e.g., outside interests)
Running, soccer (both watching and playing), hiking and extended backpacking trips, reading, traveling.
- Family leisure an integrative review of research from select journals (2015)
- Afterschool shared use of public school facilities for physical activity in North Carolina (2014)
- Policy changes to implement intramural sports in North Carolina middle schools: Simulated effects on sports participation rates and physical activity intensity, 2008-2009 (2014)
- Prioritizing school intramural and interscholastic programs based on observed physical activity (2014)
- Leisure Research and the legacy of George Daniel Butler introduction (2014)
- Place Disparities in Supportive Environments for Extracurricular Physical Activity in North Carolina Middle Schools (2013)
- Researcher and advocate: Using research to promote social justice change leisure research symposium (2013)
- School sport policy and school-based physical activity environments and their association with observed physical activity in middle school children (2012)
- Adolescent girls' perception of health within a leisure context (2011)
- Park-based physical activity among children and adolescents (2011)