Jonathan Casper is an Associate Professor and Sport Management Program Coordinator in the Department of Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management in the College of Natural Resources at North Carolina State University.
Dr. Casper is an internationally recognized researcher on sport and the natural environment. His research seeks to help sport organizations integrate sustainability efforts into organizational operations, marketing, and fan engagement. His expertise lies in leveraging sport events as informal educational settings (or platforms) and influencing sustainable behavior change. He has worked extensively with collegiate athletic departments, professional sport teams, and corporate sponsors on implementation and evaluation strategic sustainability efforts. He is also a founding member of the Sport Ecology Group.
Dr. Casper has an additional research line related to sport participation and health. His work focuses on the psychological factors associated with sport participation and how these factors relate to recruitment and retention of sport participants. His work informs marketing and administrators in the sport industry and ultimately contributes to improved human health through continued sport participation. Through his research and consultation, he has worked with local (e.g. Public Schools, Raleigh Park and Recreation) to international stakeholders (International Tennis Federation).
Dr. Casper has published in leading peer-reviewed academic journals specific to sport and sustainability and participation and presented his findings at international conferences. Most recently he published an edited text titled “Sport Management and the Natural Environment: Theory and Practice” which is a seminal textbook on this emerging field. He has received external funding for his work on sustainability education and engagement and serves as a consultant for marketing sustainability and health.
University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, Colorado. Ph.D. 2004
University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, Colorado. M.A. 2001
Pitzer College, Claremont, California. B.A. 1995
Recent Courses Taught
PRT 475 Internship in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management
PRT 476 Sport Marketing
PRT 507 Strategic Marketing Management in Parks, Recreation, Tourism, and Sport
Casper, J. M., (2016). Health Air & Healthy Sport: Air Pollution Associated with Sport Operations. Panel Moderator. Green Sport Alliance Summit: Houston, TX.
Bunds, K., Casper, J., Frey, C. (2016). Major event air pollution monitoring. NC BREATHE conference, Charlotte, NC.
Casper, J.M., (2016). Sport and Environmental Sustainability: The Impact on Society and Health. Seventh International Conference on Sport & Society: University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii
Bunds, K.S., Newman, J.I., Kellison, T.B., & Casper, J.M. (2015). Fractured environment(s): A critical examination of hydraulic fracturing and sport. To be presented at the annual conference of the North American Society for the Sociology of Sport, Sante Fe, NM.
Sayre-McCord, R., Edwards, M., Bocarro, J., & Casper, J. (2015). The impact of childhood sport participation on adulthood sport participation in former Division I athletes. European Association of Sport Management Conference, Dublin, Ireland.
Casper, J., Pfahl, M., & Newport, D. (2015) Is “going green” worth it? Assessing fan engagement and perceptions of athletic department environmental efforts. North American Society for Sport Management Conference, Ottawa, Canada.
Casper, J. M, & Pfahl, M. E. (2014, June). It takes as campus to make sustainability sports happen (Campus integration perspectives from athletics and campus recreation). Collegiate Sports and Sustainability Summit, Boulder, CO.
Casper, J. M., Pfahl, M. E., McCullough, B. P. (2013, October). Engaging fans in intercollegiate sustainability efforts. Annual Sport Marketing Association Conference. Albuquerque, NM.
Barrett, M, Bunds, K, Casper, J., Edwards, M., Showalter, S., & Jones, G. (In Press). ‘A nut we
have officially yet to crack’: Forcing the attention of athletic departments through shared sustainability governance. Sustainability.
Bunds, K., Koenigstorfer, J., Casper, J., & Hipp, J. (In Press). Every breath you take, every
step you make: Recreational walking decisions in urban environments depending on air quality, noise, traffic, and the natural environment. Transportation Research: Part F.
Lee, K. J, Casper, J. M., & Floyd, M (In Press). Public park and recreation agencies’ effort in
racial and ethnic diversity and inclusion. Journal of Park & Recreation Administration.
Casper, J. M., McCullough, B. P., & Pfahl, M.E. (2019, In Press). Examining environmental fan
engagement initiatives through values and norms with intercollegiate sport fans. Sport Management Review. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smr.2019.03.005
NC State Green Brick Award, Campus Environmental Sustainability, 2012
Outstanding Advisor of the Year, College of Natural Resources, NC State, 2006
- An examination of pickleball participation, social connections, and psychological well-being among seniors during the COVID-19 pandemic , WORLD LEISURE JOURNAL (2021)
- Objective Assessment of Physical Activity and Associated Contexts During High School Sport Practices , FRONTIERS IN SPORTS AND ACTIVE LIVING (2021)
- Pro-Environmental Sustainability and Political Affiliation: An Examination of USA College Sport Sustainability Efforts , INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH AND PUBLIC HEALTH (2021)
- Is "school sport" associated with school belongingness? Testing the influence of school sport policy , SPORT MANAGEMENT REVIEW (2020)
- Making an Impact: An Initial Review of U.S. Sport League Corporate Social Responsibility Responses During COVID-19 , INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SPORT COMMUNICATION (2020)
- Racial and Ethnic Diversity and Inclusion Efforts of Public Park and Recreation Agencies , JOURNAL OF PARK AND RECREATION ADMINISTRATION (2020)
- 'A Nut We Have Officially yet to Crack': Forcing the Attention of Athletic Departments Toward Sustainability Through Shared Governance , SUSTAINABILITY (2019)
- A Descriptive Analysis of Corporate Environmental Responsibility in Major League Professional Sport , JOURNAL OF APPLIED SPORT MANAGEMENT (2019)
- Examining environmental fan engagement initiatives through values and norms with intercollegiate sport fans , Sport Management Review (2019)
- Psychological Connection to Pickleball: Assessing Motives and Participation in Older Adults , JOURNAL OF AGING AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY (2019)