Alumni Spotlight: Dave Nastalski

“Be a sponge. Soak in as much information from as many people as possible. Never be afraid to fail. Take ACTION!

If you don’t do it, someone else will, be a communicator and associate with the kinds of people you aspire to become”.

Dave Nastalski, a 2014 PGA-Golf Management Alumni is a Class A PGA Director of Golf & Instruction and head pro at the Dogwood Country Club, a boutique golf studio located in downtown Raleigh, owned by Dave and his wife Elyssa. Dogwood CC offers year-round golf simulation on an 18-foot projection screen that holds over 40 different PGA locations in the system, including places such as Greensboro’s Sedgefield Country Club and courses from St. Andrews Links in Scotland.

What made you decide to study golf management?

After growing up playing the game with my dad and grandpa, I knew I wanted a career in golf (one way or the other). I first wanted to play professionally, but when that didn’t work out I looked for other ways to stay in the sport and making a living doing something I loved.  

Dave Nastalski - Alumni Spotlight: Dave Nastalski -Parks Recreation and Tourism Management NC State

What was a highlight for you at NC State?

Winning the Pack Masters (an annual tournament among all four grade levels of PGA GM students) was pretty special. They had a Red Jacket Ceremony and all!

What was your favorite project/club you were involved with?

I scripted, shot, edited and produced an advertisement video for N.C. State PGA GM program that was used to recruit prospective students to the program. Tons of fun! I also started a weekly skins game tournament at Lonnie Poole which included both PGA GM students and Lonnie Poole golf professionals/employees.  

What was your favorite internship?

Working for Peter Millar was one of the best experiences I have had to date. I learned that no matter how elite you may become, there is always room to roll up your sleeves and do the grunt work. It shows people (who may be underneath your position) that you care about them and their work. And when you invest in building a strong culture of care, you’ll  motivate your team to work that much harder for you.

Was their an advisor or faculty that affected you personally?

Tons! Annette Moore, Jason Bocarro, Susan Colby, Andy Betz and Robb Wade to name a few.

What advice do you have for incoming students?

Go out and learn to sell (it doesn’t matter what you’re selling). Sales is how the world goes round.  Be a sponge. Soak in as much information from as many people as possible. Never be afraid to fail. Take ACTION! If you don’t do it, someone else will. And last, be a communicator and associate with the kinds of people you aspire to become.

How did you come up with the concept for the Dogwood CC?

We wanted a simple teaching studio to start — so my wife Elyssa and I (who runs the facility with me) put our heads together, and things just started snowballing. We decided to build a new concept…an urban country club with memberships, benefits, amenities, etc.  With golf being as expensive, time consuming and intimidating as it is, we wanted a vehicle to help grow the game and offer solutions to those problems by making it less intimidating and more easily accessible.  I’m proud to say we’re getting TONS of new folks into the sport who may have never pick up a club otherwise.

Where do you get you personal motivation?

To be completely honest, I’m not really sure.  I think a lot of it was the fact that my parents made me work for everything I had growing up. If I wanted something, I had to go figure out how to get it.  

What is your dream job?

I’m doing it!

Anything else you would like to share?

If anybody is interested in joining the team at Dogwood, please send your resume and cover letter along with a 1 minute video telling us about you, your background, your skills, and your goals to hello@dogwoodcountryclub.com