Extension Forestry at NC State
The Department of Forestry and Environmental Resources supports NC State’s land grant mission by maintaining a robust extension and outreach program. We believe in sharing our knowledge with the people of North Carolina and supporting the economic prosperity of NC communities, particularly since forestry ranks among North Carolina’s largest industries.
Extension Forestry at NC State enables North Carolinians to make informed decisions concerning the management, enhancement, and enjoyment of their forest and other natural resources through sound, research-based information and education. We provide educational opportunities and information for adults and youth in the following program areas.
- Christmas Tree Production and Marketing – Promoting economic development through best management practices and sound business skills.
- Community Forestry – Improving the health of community forest through management and policy.
- Environmental Stewardship – Improving forest health and promoting natural resource-based alternative income opportunities.
- Family Forestry – Enhancing natural resource stewardship and improving economic well being through active management.
- Woody Biomass and Renewable Energy – Addressing global climate change through policy and energy markets.
- Youth Education – Connecting youth with the natural environment through 4-H and Project Learning Tree.
We provide lifelong learning opportunities to more than 30,000 natural resources professionals, as well as to non-professionals, teachers and their students.
We provide professional and technical services to businesses and industries, landowners and inheritors, and governments and nongovernmental organizations.
We are the go-to place for natural resource solutions in NC.
We provide educational and professional development opportunities for 500,000+ NC landowners annually.Extension Forestry
Supporting North Carolina
Where We Work
Explore the more than 70 projects our college is engaged in across North Carolina.
In addition to driving key state industries like forestry, we help private landowners and inheritors to better manage their properties. We provide distance education, certificate programs, workshops and short courses to thousands of professionals each year, and we put materials on natural resources in the hands of more than 700 K-12 teachers through a network of 80 facilitators based in 45 North Carolina counties.
We work with county extension agents, covering all 100 counties of North Carolina, to funnel our natural resource programming and resources to the communities that need them. More than 2,000 of the state’s Christmas Tree growers look to us for research and guidance. We deliver crucial leadership in forestry and natural resources management in partnership with NC State’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
Let's Get Social
Follow us on Twitter to find out about upcoming events and our latest publications.