Join us in welcoming our fall 2020 incoming students. They come from different backgrounds and will be working towards a variety of degrees. But no matter their path, these soccer players, singers, photographers and birders are brought together by the College of Natural Resources to Think and Do.
Regan Corey – Forest Management
Concord, North Carolina
- Regan has a passion for forestry and is part of the CONNECT Program.
- She loves to volunteer, hike and spend time with friends and family.
- She is also a volunteer for Meals on Wheels, which she calls “a local hero for people who are in need of the meals throughout the county.”
Megan McClaugherty – Fisheries, Wildlife & Conservation Biology
- Initially, Megan studied psychology, but her passion for conservation brought her to NC State. She says, “I think what makes me unique in general, is that despite how grateful I am for all I’ve experienced in these past few years, I have never given up on pursuing my passion for conservation.”
- She is most excited for Summer Camp, as well as exploring Raleigh and NC State’s student organizations.
- Her hero is Rachel Carson, who she admires for her pioneering spirit and passion for educating the public about our impact on the environment.
Patrick Lackey – Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management
Roxboro, North Carolina
- Patrick has always wanted “to work outside in nature” and has “a desire to help others.”
- He has over 10 years of vocal training and at one point wanted to be an opera singer.
- His hero is his mother, who left France at the age of 16, got an education, and started a career working with children with disabilities.
Carisma Lynn – Sport Management
Raleigh, North Carolina
- Carisma has “always had a passion for sports and saw no other way to stay connected than to create a career around them.”
- She played basketball at Guilford College, plays the violin and enjoys photography and traveling.
- Her hero is her grandmother, who taught her to pave her own path in life.
Luke Griffin – Paper Science and Engineering
Fort Mill, South Carolina
- Luke is most excited to find “a new family in the Paper Science program.”
- He is a cross country and track runner.
- Luke is also a singer, and has sung in Carnegie Hall twice.
Martina Nordstrand – Fisheries, Wildlife and Conservation Biology
Indian Trail, North Carolina
- Martina is most excited to meet new people, get involved in clubs and do research.
- She is an avid wildlife photographer and her main passion is birds, which she can identify by just hearing their songs.
- Her hero is Steve Irwin, whose “enthusiasm, respect and love for the natural world” inspired her to get out into nature.
Lucy Huitt – Paper Science and Engineering and Chemical Engineering
Greensboro, North Carolina
- Lucy says “I’ve always wanted to do something that combined my love for the outdoors and sustainability with STEM and engineering.”
- She has done competitive robotics since middle school. In high school her team competed in the semifinals of the first competitive robotics world championship.
- Lucy enjoys river kayaking, hiking and sailing.
Kelvin Borges – Paper Science and Engineering and Chemical Engineering
- Kelvin chose the College of Natural Resources “because of the amazing Paper Science program and the very close knit and supportive environment.”
- He plays tennis and soccer and has won two soccer state championships.
- He also loves to cook.