A Commitment to Excellence
We welcome future students to visit with our faculty, staff and current students. Find us at a visitation day or schedule a tour on a day that fits your schedule.
The Department of Forest Biomaterials at NC State’s College of Natural Resources is home to one of the oldest and most respected paper science and engineering programs in the world as well as a cutting-edge sustainable materials and technology program. We are passionate global leaders in innovative forest biomaterials research, educators of tomorrow’s industry leaders, and creators of professional development training for current professionals. We not only deliver a modern and impactful curriculum to our students — we create sustainable solutions to address the resource issues facing society.
Using fundamental science and applied engineering skills, coupled with financial and life cycle analyses, our department pursues interdisciplinary teaching, research and extension activities that impact not only the people of North Carolina, but global industries. Our approach recognizes the scientific and engineering principles driving each area of study as well as applicable technology and sustainable business skills. Our programs examine and acknowledge the broader sustainability issues that affect industries operating in these fields, including the financial, management and social components. All of our programs emphasize hands-on learning that identify solutions to real-world problems and developing futuristic products and environmentally friendly processes.Browse our departmental brochure
Our people are our greatest asset
As innovators and educators, our faculty, staff and students are creating a more sustainable future for us all.Meet our people
By the Numbers
The Department of Forest Biomaterials is global leader in research, educational excellence, biomass utilization, sustainable biomaterials, and innovative solutions to industry challenges. We serve the public, supporting the land-grant mission of NC State University, translate and apply research that drives discovery and generates value, advance knowledge through science, and educate and train future leaders.
- 2,000+ alumni globally, including CEOs, senior executives, and owners of major paper and pulp or wood products companies
- 300+ undergraduate students on average
- 80 – 100 percent placement of Paper Science and Engineering undergraduates within 6 months of graduation
- 40+ graduate students in on-campus and distance education curricula on average
- 21 full-time teaching and research faculty
- 14 active adjunct faculty
- 11 full-time staff members
- 1 peer-reviewed online research journal (#1 in its field for publication volume) focused on the science of engineering of lignocellulosic materials, chemicals and new applications
- 1 fully-functioning, reduced scale pilot paper plant