From Testing to Production
- Chemical and Mechanical Pulping and Processing: We are well equipped to conduct studies and tests related to pulping and the pulping process. Our faculty and researchers have a depth of knowledge in this area and are eager to share it with our industry partners.
- Bleaching: We have a wealth of experience in bleaching of fibrous furnishes, extending to both ECF and TCF sequences and low-, medium- and high-consistency conditions. Screening and preliminary trials may be done in sealed plastic bags (atmospheric) or small bombs (pressurized) and larger quantities may be bleached using our pilot plant.
- Fiber Recycling: We have an outstanding reputation in the industry for technical services and research in fiber recycling, including stickies identification and removal; repulpability and recyclability of barrier-treated (e.g. waxed) and other difficult materials; and enzymatic and agglomeration de-inking. Our assortment of equipment is available to treat small samples at bench scale or large samples at pilot scale.
- Paper Making and Testing: We also have great capabilities in papermaking. At bench scale, sheet moulds are available in a variety of sizes, with and without white water recycle. For pilot production of paper, the 12-inch “Wolfpack Baby” fourdrinier permits the evaluation of a variety of furnishes and conditions in a cost-effective manner.
- Analytical Services: NC State maintains a well-equipped analytical laboratory for analysis of all types of samples. The equipment list includes the following: GC, HPLC, FPLC, LCMS, UV-vis, Dionex Ion Analysis, and Capillary Electrophoresis
The Pulp and Paper Technical Services program is located on NC State University's main campus at 411 Dan Allen Drive, Raleigh, NC 27695